beatonem

Resurrecting Nostalgia

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

It may not be much to most, but to me it was my 1st fly reel.  Was a wild young teen that loved bass fishing in NY.  Bass Pro catalogs, packages always coming to the house.  A happy 13yr old for sure.   Was at the Suffern show they always did and wanted to try fly fishing.  Bought this little reel and a rod and had fun with it tackling trout, panfish and bass.  For what ever reason it faded away after a year or so but stayed with me in my tub of reels.  The only 1 ever, until! A year ago I picked up a 9wt setup for SWFL where I now live.  36 years later I want to have fun again with this little guy.  What do you think of this little fella?

20220125_180826.jpg

20220125_180844.jpg

20220125_180950.jpg

20220125_181004.jpg

If it makes you happy that's all that matters. My first rig was a sage gfl with an Orvis CFO reel, and I think it still sits in a void on the USS John F. Kennedy. I cycle stuff out frequently, and the fear of becoming a hoarder prevents me from developing sentimental attachments to gear.

I have a soft spot for Cortland reels. I had that one, and several of the Cortland Magnum series. They lasted for a good long time in the salt treated with Boeshield and never let me down until end of life. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

My first flyrod was a well used Montague bamboo rod with friction tape holding on some guides.tip was shorten and the tip top was a regular casting rod eye retrofitted to the tip. The exciting part was it was a red “Automatic “ with old dry silk line. First trout was on the Manhan river in Easthampton Ma., then a perch for what then was a special time..Gramps would use perch eyes for bait as the perch ran the river 1954:rav:

put in back in the rotation ! wasn't a fly reel, but last summer I rehabbed a penn 712 greenie that I bought with lawn mowing money back in 1974 - caught a jack on it with the first cast.