RAW

Oh what a day!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Fished 10-2 with my favorite water conditions. Told wifey things are great, little chop and just a little off color. But they couldn’t hide today, very few their $15 fee is working:sarc:. 7 snook hooked and landed from 28” to 35” with fresh mullet and lighter leader, 30 lb. No lost fish or drops. All nice lip hookups and all released . Usually I have to move chair and tackle 8-10 times and keep and eye on the knucklehead pelican.A buddy hooked a lemon shark 6-7 ‘ that 5 of us maneuvered rod around pier posts to shallow water where it was cut free about 1 foot from mouth. The shark seemed unfazed by the duel. I think my fellow senior took a nap :point:By far my best snook outing . Tomorrow another nasty weather band that will keep me away. Only time for 1 cigar, as I needed to continuously change leader after a fish from framing by hook . The snook numbers were not huge but they were hungry even with the 2 week cold front. Used 4 lbs. of mullet . :rav:.sheepshead are hot and getting big. 

Hey Raw, snook are one of my bucket list fish. I'm heading to Fl mid March for a week outside Tampa, and a week in Cudjo Key. Any chance I can hook up a snook in this timeframe/locales? Any advice or suggestions appreciated. G2G

8 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Hey Raw, snook are one of my bucket list fish. I'm heading to Fl mid March for a week outside Tampa, and a week in Cudjo Key. Any chance I can hook up a snook in this timeframe/locales? Any advice or suggestions appreciated. G2G

Tampa I know nothing about. Cudjo key is probably not likely, but offers Tarpon, Permit and lots of ground fish .truthfully never thought about snook when I lived in Islamorada , Snook are around some bridges, but not like years ago. Channel 2 and 5 near abuttements, thy do catch snook from under Skyway bridge in easy access for publi, google Skyway fishing:rav:

This time of the year the snook are hiding in the backcountry, at least in SWFL Everglades..  Last times out 2 weeks ago I got skunked twice. I will now focus on the back country for Reds and trout , but can always hope to find a snook.  We are in a series of "cold" fronts that slow things down.

1 hour ago, John P said:

This time of the year the snook are hiding in the backcountry, at least in SWFL Everglades..  Last times out 2 weeks ago I got skunked twice. I will now focus on the back country for Reds and trout , but can always hope to find a snook.  We are in a series of "cold" fronts that slow things down.

The waters certainly are down, so yesterday I waited till 10:30 am and temps were up. The snook stayed in areas with some brightness, the chop on the water helped but downsizing  everything including chunk size made huge difference, My visible distance was 40’ watching there dark profile. A faster moving fish almost insured a take :rav: