Sudsy

Tire math - Duallys or Super Single, which covers more surface

19 posts in this topic

Still working on the off road and beach capable RV 

Virtually every RV were looking at has duallys - but from what I've been reading you can't air them down much due to tire rubbing, which can be very bad for the sidewalls.

The 4x4 conversion place, U Joint Offroad says that super singles on a 25' to 27' unit will make for a squirrelly on the road driver and they prefer not to do that conversion.

So for beach driving do you really have to air duallys down much or do they already have as much surface area as an aired down single ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never heard of super singles before , thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole. I’m sure you  already saw it in your research but nice article online about converting an F450  to super singles for a camper build. 

2B7BDCB8-0CD7-452E-9271-4FD20FC08580.jpeg

Edited by connman

42 mins ago, connman said:

Never heard of super singles before , thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole. I’m sure you  already saw it in your research but <snip>

Besides some sports I haven't watched TV in a month

Researching an offroad / beach capable RV is a Deeeeep deep rabit hole !

Never drove a vehicle with either but I'll point out the obvious - With dualies the outside rear tire is always cutting a new track on the sand. With Super Singles there is no "plan b" should a rear tire fail. 

Greetings.  I own a  converted class c 

and it’s a duel r w.   Quigley was nice enough to give me two different hub sizes so I need a spare for the front and another one for the rear. With different rims.   Anyway I air down to twenty five  the tires don’t touch and with the posi it’s a nice beach rig

On 2/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, Luckydad said:

GQuigley was nice enough to give me two different hub sizes so I need a spare for the front and another one for the rear. With different rims. 

U-Joint Offroad is doing that too. I'm sure there's a good reason but I've no idea what that is.

In case of a flat I'll be counting on a single rear to get me to a tire place. I'll be carrying a spare front,

The reason is a new front caliper. Larger 165mm pattern     rear is still American 

I’m happy with the new setup  quigley 

really knows 4wd it’s a f450  22j  

Posted (edited) · Report post

A 1 ton single rear with living quarters mounted in the bed not an option for you?

If you convert the dually to a super single you are putting all your eggs in one basket, what would you do for a spare tire? 

Edited by animalbarrie

2 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

It would be easier to just get one of these

earthcruiser-unimog-explorer-xpr440.jpg

Very cool!

What is it ??