MrJingles

What is your go to knot/knots?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I know a lot of people use different knots for different applications, what do use and for what application?

I pretty much only use improved clinch knots and haven't found any issue...The only thing else I use are blood knots for connecting dissimilar line types(braid to a mono/fluoro leader) without a barrel swivel.

0.jpg

6 mins ago, MrJingles said:

I know a lot of people use different knots for different applications, what do use and for what application?

I pretty much only use improved clinch knots and haven't found any issue...The only thing else I use are blood knots for connecting dissimilar line types(braid to a mono/fluoro leader) without a barrel swivel.

0.jpg

Oh man, you are old school, just like me.

My dad taught me improved clinch, blood and nail knots about 50 years ago and I have failed to learn any new ones since.

Which is knot to say I'm right in being so stubborn. There are plenty of good knots I should learn and if you get any responses to this thread I'm sure we will see them.

I just haven't been motivated to learn them.

I have never had a properly tied clinch knot fail. The one disadvantage I know of is flies and lures might not have as much movement. 

I don't think I have had properly tied blood knots fail on mono to mono but I definitely have had issues with mono to floro. 

Nai knots are a pain to tie but they are reliable and I like the thin profile over loop based knots.

Mono I use a uni knot, or a rapala knot if I want a loop, braid I use a trilene knot. For line to line, alberto knot if the leader is 25 lb or less. If 30 or greater I use an FG knot

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

I have never had a properly tied clinch knot fail. The one disadvantage I know of is flies and lures might not have as much movement.

Yep, was taught by my father years ago and have never given those two up...

I agree, when I was heavily into fly fishing I used a knot that lefta loop of mono between the knot itself and the eye of the hook...I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or how to tie it, but it allowed free movement of the fly on the end of the leader. I think it also would have applications for single jig fluking, I should probably figure out what the hell it was.

Just now, MrJingles said:

Yep, was taught by my father years ago and have never given those two up...

I agree, when I was heavily into fly fishing I used a knot that lefta loop of mono between the knot itself and the eye of the hook...I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or how to tie it, but it allowed free movement of the fly on the end of the leader. I think it also would have applications for single jig fluking, I should probably figure out what the hell it was.

My kid who is 15 bangs off all kinds of exotic knots he learns on you tube. He tries to get me to learn them and I just can't get motivated. 

4 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Improved Clinch, Uni and Palomar, if you can ties these correctly they will take care of 98% of your knot tying requirements. 

I'm going to look into those uni and palomar knots, what do you use them for generally?

Palomar Knot for braid. 

Uni Knot for mono/fluoro. (Number of turns dictated by pound test.)

Modified Albright (Alberto) for braid to mono/fluoro leaders. 

Snell knot for tying to a hook. 

Perfection Loop for a teaser. 

7 mins ago, MrJingles said:

I'm going to look into those uni and palomar knots, what do you use them for generally?

Uni and palomar knots have been widely used  for decades, in a wide array of applications from mono to braid.

Alberto Knot for braid to leader. Will use a dropper loop for a teaser and clinch knot to a TA clip.

Palomar is a great knot too and I like it’s simplicity.

24 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Improved Clinch, Uni and Palomar, if you can ties these correctly they will take care of 98% of your knot tying requirements. 

:th:

58 mins ago, MrJingles said:

Uni for braid, palomar for mono or when feasible.