superstriper

"sand mode"

32 posts in this topic

Sand mode just increases the allowed wheel slip before the traction control kicks in. It may also start off in a higher gear to limit torque, and wheel spin on soft surfaces.

It doesn't magically help the truck float on the sand like airing down does.

Sand mode, combined with a standard air down is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airing down is to ---save--- the beach. Without airing down you would tear the chit out of the track and get shot by your buddies or at least me.

Air down and save the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are referring to the Crawl Mode that Toyota offers in their Off Road and Pro models in the Tacoma,  4 runner and Tundra. Some pretty impressive videos out there on the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, SIC34 said:

I think you are referring to the Crawl Mode that Toyota offers in their Off Road and Pro models in the Tacoma,  4 runner and Tundra. Some pretty impressive videos out there on the web.

Crawl mode could help you pull out of a buried situation, but airing down prevents that have happening in the first place.  Crawl can only be used in 4wd low and takes care of the  speed for you.  The truck sounds awful in crawl mode (actuators powering each wheel?) and I hope to never need it in real life.  Was cool to watch people intentionally get stuck and free themselves on YouTube though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2022 at 0:03 PM, HoldMyBass said:

Was driving a 2018 Jeep compass for 2 and a half years on the beach.... it has the sand mode. you def need to air down. The sales people told me the same thing, but you still need to with just about any vehicle. The jeep did its thing on the beach, but you had to be mindful of the ground clearance. This is in New Jersey with pretty soft sand....maybe different on southern harder packed beaches. 

Was this a trailhawk or just a standard compass. I have a compass latitude. Have not taken it on the beach I have a old wrangler I have the beach pass for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2022 at 0:44 PM, Mv87 said:

Was this a trailhawk or just a standard compass. I have a compass latitude. Have not taken it on the beach I have a old wrangler I have the beach pass for. 

This not the trailhawk model or any other fancy model. Pretty sure it was the latitude. Did well for 2 years until my lease was up now driving a ram 1500.  Not sure about the longevity of a compass on the beach, but it did fine on IBSP. Def need to keep eyes peeled for weird spots in the sand as the ground clearance is a little low. But like I said it did it’s thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The park personnel told this guy without a permit to turn around and leave and he almost made it in X-mode....without airing down.  After he got stuck really well, I loaned him my tire deflaters, he dug his way out of the hole he made and didn't have any problem once he had aired down.  

 

IMG_2496.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, BassTracker said:

The park personnel told this guy without a permit to turn around and leave and he almost made it in X-mode....without airing down.  After he got stuck really well, I loaned him my tire deflaters, he dug his way out of the hole he made and didn't have any problem once he had aired down.  

 

IMG_2496.JPG

Delaware?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m impressed that not one person argued against airing down. Several years ago Ford told their customers not to air down. It would have been funny to see all the new Fords stuck everywhere if they hadn’t jammed up the entrance ramps so badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, tristate said:

I’m impressed that not one person argued against airing down. Several years ago Ford told their customers not to air down. It would have been funny to see all the new Fords stuck everywhere if they hadn’t jammed up the entrance ramps so badly.

It’s funny, the town where I live likely has the most liberal beach driving laws on the eastern seaboard and nobody airs down that doesn’t absolutely have to.  I don’t and I drive on the beach daily year round. 
 

Cops and lifeguards don’t air down. There is no ordinance for airing down and there is rarely washboard.  8 out of  10 vehicles on the beach are Jeep Wranglers and they don’t need to air down with stock pressures to not get stuck. 
 

I know, you’re mad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can you drive on the beach without airing down sure, but airing down helps to improve traction with minimal effort involved to do so.  Also, sand conditions vary by area so airing down may not be needed in one place but is a necessity in another.

 

To each his own!

Edited by jgallagher3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jgallagher3 said:

Can you drive on the beach without airing down sure, but airing down helps to improve traction with minimal effort involved to do so.  Also, sand conditions vary by area so airing down may not be needed in one place but is a necessity in another.

 

To each his own!

Also reduces wear and tear on the drivetrain.  All beaches are different. I could drive all day long on some beaches in a low rider Honda but wouldn't even get out of the parking lot around here. Gotta adjust to the condition.  BUT when in doubt air down.  Rather not be stuck.  Especially with incoming tide and a black cloud of meat eating flies around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never aired down in the Wildwoods when we lived in NJ. Brigantine was nice hard beach except for the ramps. Hatteras is 18 lbs mostly, sometimes less, as it is here in Delaware.

Edited by Capt Buck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.