superstriper

"sand mode"

32 posts in this topic

so I was looking at a few of the new suvs and some like the 4runner off road were pushing the multi terrian system and the sales guy was telling me you can drive in the sand without needing to deflate tires. I told him based on my experience I would never hit the beach without lowering the pressure especially in soft sand-he was like you dont need to with this. I clearly did not have a chance to test  drive on the beach and believe he was just fishing for a sale. Anybody have experience with any of the newer Suvs that offer sand/beach driving mode?

Clearly he's just a sales guy and has never actually driven anything on the beach before. The MTS probably helps some, but there is no substitute for airing down.

9 mins ago, StuC said:

Clearly he's just a sales guy and has never actually driven anything on the beach before. The MTS probably helps some, but there is no substitute for airing down.

that was and is my thoughts-my previous 4 runner and sequoia were great on the beach but airing done was a MUST-was just curious is anybody has experience in the sand with the newer models

Was driving a 2018 Jeep compass for 2 and a half years on the beach.... it has the sand mode. you def need to air down. The sales people told me the same thing, but you still need to with just about any vehicle. The jeep did its thing on the beach, but you had to be mindful of the ground clearance. This is in New Jersey with pretty soft sand....maybe different on southern harder packed beaches. 

There are some videos out there showing how Toyota MTS can work in a Tacoma or 4Runner in the sand. Definitely does not negate the need to air down but can be a great tool to help get the most traction in ways that would be impossible without it. 

Mine is a 2016 4-Runner Trail Edition, which has MTF - I always air down to 15psi.  I will say that when the IBSP sand is really soft, the MTF function works very well - I think without it, the truck would bog down. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

thanks all

I figured the mtf would aide a bit but no way a replacement for being smart and airing down no matter what I was being told

Edited by superstriper

No experience with new SUV's, plenty of experience with sales people. When someone insults your intelligence it's time to walk out of the door 

6 hours ago, superstriper said:

so I was looking at a few of the new suvs and some like the 4runner off road were pushing the multi terrian system and the sales guy was telling me you can drive in the sand without needing to deflate tires. I told him based on my experience I would never hit the beach without lowering the pressure especially in soft sand-he was like you dont need to with this. I clearly did not have a chance to test  drive on the beach and believe he was just fishing for a sale. Anybody have experience with any of the newer Suvs that offer sand/beach driving mode?

Every single response you have received up to this point in the thread is 100% correct. There is no substitute for airing down when fishing on ocean beaches. Sand can be very different depending on where you are located also. Deep fluffy white sand demands respect otherwise you're going to bottom out and get stuck, irregardless of whatever traction control gizmos are in place on the vehicle.

A big factor is also your vehicle weight. The heavier the vehicle the more imperative it is that you air down.

Also driving without airing down means that your vehicle inherently is going to dig deeper into the sand and that's bad for the beaches. I've seen countless beaches where there's evidence of people trying to drive on it without airing down. They create massive divots and eventually that type of behavior will require various states to simply revoke the privileges of surf fishermen being able to drive on the beaches. 

Sales people seem to say whatever is necessary to sell a vehicle. Sounds like your person was trying to turn a feature into an advantage and perhaps translate it into a benefit. Smartly you asked questions here, amidst a community where many of us have been there and done that. 

The lighter the vehicle is the higher it's going to ride but even the lightest of vehicles should be aired down. The goal is not to dig two foot deep trenches all over the beach. 

Have him sign something saying that he will personally cover the new transmission when you burn it up.

I’m still trying to figure out what all the buttons are on my T4R. 4wd knob, 3 on the left dash and 1 on the console. 

My Tacoma is a 5sp. If it gets sloppy, just yank on the little shifter. Problem solved. Ha! It beats the hell out of the T4R in the snow.