SG1

Where to start?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm a NJ guy. My daughter landed a job at NASA Goddard and is now living in Silver Spring MD.  I'm thinking of taking some vacation time this spring/summer and renting a place on or near the Chesapeake. I'm an avid kayak fisherman so a small place on or near the water with at least a decent shot at stripers is my goal.  Any suggestions on general locations/towns that I could start investigating?  Not looking for spots, just a point in the right direction. A campsite could also be an option. 

Thanks in advance. 

Anywhere in Anne Arundel or Calvert county puts you close to striper and snakehead waters. It’s also within an 1-1.5 of silver spring. 

I would send you down to Solomons Island, or Point Lookout.

As a Jersey guy, you will probably be disappointed here.

i didn't have much luck at solomons or pointlookout. tried both places several times. fish were showing up on fishfinder. nothing but small ones. i was bottoming fishing and jigging. good luck. report back if you have any luck.

Come to the eastern shore! Crisfield, hoopers island, manokin river, janes island , deal island all offer great striper fishing and a good shot at specks and reds in the late spring and throughout the summer and fall. I use to live near silver spring and fish the bay bridge a couple times a year in a boat but the light tackle marsh fishing on the eastern shore is so much more enjoyable.

I'm also a kayak guy in Silver Spring. I cross the bridge most of time to fish the Kent island area. Fishing is just better than the western shore. Most of the KI launches out you in a good spot for fish. And in the summer if you're getting skunked there's always white perch!

like others said you'll probably be disappointed coming here from Jersey. 

Aw man, I'm here now for work from NJ...was going to try some of the above mentioned spots today and tomorrow. Was gonna make a thread, no need now I suppose. I was going to start off trying sandy point, can any of you local guys tell me the deal with 24hr access (if it's enforced or if any olaces in particular places that are 24hr exist?) Most places I've come across all seem to be part of a park with listed hours...thanks 

On 5/19/2022 at 0:54 PM, Saltine109 said:

Aw man, I'm here now for work from NJ...was going to try some of the above mentioned spots today and tomorrow. Was gonna make a thread, no need now I suppose. I was going to start off trying sandy point, can any of you local guys tell me the deal with 24hr access (if it's enforced or if any olaces in particular places that are 24hr exist?) Most places I've come across all seem to be part of a park with listed hours...thanks 

As long as you're fishing you can be inside park. This time of year you may get a striper or two from the beach there but it's mostly a bait n wait game for catfish. If you like throwing lures Jonas green is a good white perch spot and they will gladly hit lures. Pretty fun on a light rod. 

Anglers in Annapolis(near sandy point) is a good place for bait and advice.