Sixguns

River Fishing Kayak

18 posts in this topic

Hello-

Gonna spend more time on the Upper Delaware River this year instead of the surf.  I have a 12 Pescador Pilot (A beast) which I'm a little unsure of for "rapids" on the D.  I'm thinking of picking up a used kayak to use for fishing the river where I will have to go through some rapids.  In the past I've rented kayaks which were all sit-ins; I've never used a SOT kayak.

What experience have people had with SOT with "rapids"?

or

What inexpensive kayak would you go with?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

Consider a used surf/ play kayak. They usually have thigh straps and hulls with a lot of rocker for quick turning, and to float the bow over rough water. They are fun in a river or surf, but not great for any distance.

Edited by cheech

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ocean kayak scrambler would fit the bill.  Sit on top. You can surf with it. You can fish with it. It turns pretty easily. It has some rocker. Good luck with your decision. It looks like the kayak was discontinued. Some model had cut outs for flush mounted rod holders. Also has cut out for front hatch.  You may need to build a custom crate for rear cargo area it is  an odd size.  Thigh straps

also help with your steering and balance. It is pretty light weight.

It does not track well with a head wind because of the rocker.

It looks like the malibu 11.5 may have replaced it.

Ocean Kayak - Malibu 11.5 Kayak - Sunrise

Edited by dbjpb

Search for "crossover' kayaks.... Jackson Staxx looks cool.

I think Dagger had a sot you might be able find used. I can't remember the model name

I've spent a lot of time in serious whitewater, but the D ain't all that. I think just a moderately light and maneuverable boat with no keel like a Tarpon120/pescador12/Pompano120 will do (all the same boat until a few years ago) It should be easy to find one used.

I was thinking my Pilot would work but looking around to see what else is out there.  Also, would like to keep it here in Jersey for saltwater when I can.

Any yak will go down a river, I  occasionally paddled an older Hobie Revo on a river for two years. It worked, but it was far from ideal.
  The Pilot is heavy for portage, the seat is high for any rough stuff, and you risk impact damage to the drive area. 

2 hours ago, Sixguns said:

it's a beast to turn in current.  I've rented sit-in's before which I liked for faster currents

SIK are very stable and great, but the big advantage of SOT is easy self rescue if you swim. Trying to get a kayak full of water to shore alone is a real bear, and even with a companion boat helping is not easy. Trust me, done it rescuing beginners many times.

17 hours ago, gellfex said:

SIK are very stable and great, but the big advantage of SOT is easy self rescue if you swim. Trying to get a kayak full of water to shore alone is a real bear, and even with a companion boat helping is not easy. Trust me, done it rescuing beginners many times.

Oh yes...  I've been on the Delaware for 20 years and when a SIK swamps it is not fun...  Not fun at all.