Rob A

Full fishing season

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I have always primarily fished for striped bass.  Would like to expand my horizons this year.  Thinking about taug, scup, fluke, weakfish, albies, sea bass, squid, clams, ect.  Wondering if you guys have different times of year you devote to one species or another.  Also if you have any tips on catching from the shore.  Thanks. 

Thank you sytheteacher.  I know when these fish are in season.  Was hoping to get a discussion going on fishing for other species besides bass.  Would love to hear some tips from experienced fisherman.  Thanks again.

I hate being that guy but lots of info using the search bar but some general basics based on my experiences:

Fluke - there's a great thread still very active in the main forum "Shore Fluke - Proven Method". Summertime. 

Tog - look for rocky areas, especially jetties, lead weight / jig with crab for bait. Drop in the holes. Need enough weight to have it stay in one place and not drift in the current but not too heavy/large, tog hide in the rocks grab bait and go hide again. Early spring late fall. 

Scup - look for structure (pilings, rocks, jetties, dropoffs, really anything). Fish finder rig or hi-lo rig with squid for bait, or gulp, or you can jig with small tins or slow pitch jigs (more work and slower catch rate but weeds out the smalls). Spring through late fall. 

Sea Robin's - catch them as a bycatch of all the above. 

Black seabass - will hit anything really, they are quite aggressive. squid bait works well or you can jig for them with bucktails or slow pitch jigs, tins, etc. Spring through fall. 

Check local regulations for when various species are in season and size restrictions. 

Basically I am fishing for Herring that I am rigging them with 9/0 hooks that have wire leaders.. That I will be using them for the Bluefish run in the spring....  

24 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Basically I am fishing for Herring that I am rigging them with 9/0 hooks that have wire leaders.. That I will be using them for the Bluefish run in the spring....  

I forgot about herring.  Do you brine them?  Freeze them?

Just now, Rob A said:

I forgot about herring.  Do you brine them?  Freeze them?

I freeze 5 Herring that's leaded with 90 pound test wire in a used zip lock bag but I wrap them individually with saran wrap so they don't get frozen together and they are easy to separate when I am ready to use them. All I do is take them out of the bag and attach them to the line and cast them out allowing them to thaw out in the water... 

44 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

I hate being that guy but lots of info using the search bar but some general basics based on my experiences:

Fluke - there's a great thread still very active in the main forum "Shore Fluke - Proven Method". Summertime. 

Tog - look for rocky areas, especially jetties, lead weight / jig with crab for bait. Drop in the holes. Need enough weight to have it stay in one place and not drift in the current but not too heavy/large, tog hide in the rocks grab bait and go hide again. Early spring late fall. 

Scup - look for structure (pilings, rocks, jetties, dropoffs, really anything). Fish finder rig or hi-lo rig with squid for bait, or gulp, or you can jig with small tins or slow pitch jigs (more work and slower catch rate but weeds out the smalls). Spring through late fall. 

Sea Robin's - catch them as a bycatch of all the above. 

Black seabass - will hit anything really, they are quite aggressive. squid bait works well or you can jig for them with bucktails or slow pitch jigs, tins, etc. Spring through fall. 

Check local regulations for when various species are in season and size restrictions. 

Thank you.  I have searched alot on this site and google.  Always good to hear from real fisherman though.  Gotta find something to do in the winter.  

I saw that thread on "proven method" for fluke.  Cant wait to try out this summer. 

For Tog, do you try and get the biggest crabs you can?  I've fished for them 3-4 times with no luck.  Cut them in half and hook through the leg openings.  Can never seem to hook up.  I know I have to put more time in but would love some suggestions.  

Will Tog, porgies, and black sea bass all be in the same area?  Would you expect to catch porgies and sea bass with same setup?

Tog are good at stealing bait, they will take little nibbles working it off the hook with their lips, so if your crabs are going missing chances are you are missing your hookset opportunity. 

Yes, generally same areas, but different presentations required to try to target each specifically. 

Yes seasbass and scup will be nycatches of each other. But scup you would want smaller hooks and bait, seabass to weed out the smalls you would use larger hooks/presentation. 

Again, these are my experiences. 

4 hours ago, Rob A said:

Thank you.  I have searched alot on this site and google.  Always good to hear from real fisherman though.  Gotta find something to do in the winter.  

I saw that thread on "proven method" for fluke.  Cant wait to try out this summer. 

For Tog, do you try and get the biggest crabs you can?  I've fished for them 3-4 times with no luck.  Cut them in half and hook through the leg openings.  Can never seem to hook up.  I know I have to put more time in but would love some suggestions.  

Will Tog, porgies, and black sea bass all be in the same area?  Would you expect to catch porgies and sea bass with same setup?

I would suggest for Tog the stickier the bottom the better.  There's a saying if you're not losing rigs your not in the right place.  

On 1/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, Italianbuca said:

Tog are good at stealing bait, they will take little nibbles working it off the hook with their lips, so if your crabs are going missing chances are you are missing your hookset opportunity. 

Yes, generally same areas, but different presentations required to try to target each specifically. 

Yes seasbass and scup will be nycatches of each other. But scup you would want smaller hooks and bait, seabass to weed out the smalls you would use larger hooks/presentation. 

Again, these are my experiences. 

I feel the nibbles.  Picking the best time to set the hook is difficult though.  Maybe I'm using the wrong size hooks.  What size hooks would you guys use for a Tog vs. a sea bass or porgy?   

For togs, you may need to change up your rig. I found that a rig that was working great for me 2 years ago stopped working for me last season. I have some ideas why but that’s another discussion. I switched to a fish-finder rig and found it to be much more effective. The main point is that you need to have a few tricks up your sleeve. If something isn’t working, switch it up. Also pay close attention to what types of rigs others around you are using. 

I've been using a 90 degree ball head jig.  Play around with weights and size hooks but around 3/8 ounce with a 3/0 or 4/0.  Bait with green crabs cut in half, hooked through the leg opening. I know the answer is to put more time in and that is the plan.  Just trying to narrow down the things I could be doing wrong.  Like hooks that are too big for fish's mouth.  Same with porgies and sea bass.  Guessing sea bass use a 2/0?  Porgies even smaller?