Ceiling heater for garage

Rate this topic

jcrane

My shop is in my garage. Attached garage but not heated. Gets pretty cold. 
Anyone use those ceiling mounted heaters that are 1500 watts?  That seems like the low end. I’m hoping I can get away with one of those? blasting right about my work area down on me?

55 mins ago, lazzyone said:

I put in a Mr. Buddy propane heater.  I opted to keep it on the floor but they can be mounted to a wall. They have an infrared and flame version.  I can get my shop from 40 to 80 degrees in a matters of minutes. A carbon monoxide detector is good addition to that as well.

Have the same here.  Doesn’t get my garage that warm but it works well.  

44 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

Have the same here.  Doesn’t get my garage that warm but it works well.  

Yeah they come in a bunch of different sizes. I definitely could have gotten away with a smaller unit. But it’s nice to work in the shop in shorts.

Edited by lazzyone
Living the dream... one sick day at a time!!

How 'Heated' do you want it?  keep things from freezing heated? or 70deg. in a t-shirt heated? 

Can you plumb a small 6" supply pipe from your forced air furnace ?

I run a small 1500 space heater in my detached garage. it runs 24/7 from nov. to march.  Walls are insulated but not the 8'ceiling.  It keeps things not frozen on 20 deg. days. and very comfortable on 40 deg. days. 

8 hours ago, lazzyone said:

Yeah they come in a bunch of different sizes. I definitely could have gotten away with a smaller unit. But it’s nice to work in the shop in shorts.

This may be what I need. I hadn’t thought of the propane ones. But logically they will be stronger anyway. 
I don’t even need to get it down to shorts. I just need to take it a few degrees up on those really cold days. 
thanks for the input 

7 hours ago, Fishbucket said:

How 'Heated' do you want it?  keep things from freezing heated? or 70deg. in a t-shirt heated? 

Can you plumb a small 6" supply pipe from your forced air furnace ?

I run a small 1500 space heater in my detached garage. it runs 24/7 from nov. to march.  Walls are insulated but not the 8'ceiling.  It keeps things not frozen on 20 deg. days. and very comfortable on 40 deg. days. 

My garage is attached. So 1 wall is insulated.  
I really just need to bring the area I’m working in up a few degrees when I’m working in there. Would just be used when I’m in there 

I've been considering the same thing, I have natural gas to the house, I'd like to have a small ceiling mounted heater plumbed to the gas so I can quit wasting time and lugging propane tanks every week, just to enjoy a little shop time. I have a 40,000 btu space heater that gets the garage warm enough in about 45 mins but it's noisy, stinks of propane, and after it's warm I still need a smaller tank mounted heater running to maintain the temp

I'd really prefer to open the garage door, set the thermostat and go back inside, run the heat for 45 mins, and then have the heat cycle till I turn it off. No exhaust smell, no trips to get more propane .And it's gotta be healthier than breathing that crap every weekend all winter long.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

38 mins ago, Ed White said:

I've been considering the same thing, I have natural gas to the house, I'd like to have a small ceiling mounted heater plumbed to the gas so I can quit wasting time and lugging propane tanks every week, just to enjoy a little shop time. I have a 40,000 btu space heater that gets the garage warm enough in about 45 mins but it's noisy, stinks of propane, and after it's warm I still need a smaller tank mounted heater running to maintain the temp

I'd really prefer to open the garage door, set the thermostat and go back inside, run the heat for 45 mins, and then have the heat cycle till I turn it off. No exhaust smell, no trips to get more propane .And it's gotta be healthier than breathing that crap every weekend all winter long.

they make nat. gas heaters for hanging from ceilings that are made for wood shops,,,sawdust doesn't affect them,,reg gas heaters have open flames,,not good for shops....modine make's them for dusty shops.

Edited by capesams

I'd save your money and buy a radiant heater for Sun Star, Mr Heater or a similar brand.. They show 10 year warranty on electrical parts for Mr Heater on a garage tube model and it's natural gas ready but you can also convert to propane. A friend has an unheated garage for wood working and its amazing how it warms all the items in the garage and not just the air. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Mark

Just put this in my 16' x 20' garage. One wall is insulated, as is the roof, and I have an insulated garage door, but I have three walls that are totally uninsulated. I've been running one of those diesel / kerosene heaters in there for years but have gotten tired of the smell; it really effects the cigar smoking enjoyment.

So far so good. Put it on when it is in the low 30's in there and within an hour it is up 20 degrees, fine working / cigar smoking conditions. If I had it to do all over again, I would have fully insulated the garage walls prior to building the space out. I may attempt that in the spring if I can find a free couple days...I have a lot of crap in there! 

Amazon.com: Dr. Infrared Heater DR-975 7500-Watt 240-Volt Hardwired Shop Garage Electric Heater, Wall/Ceiling Mounted with Remote Controlled Thermostat : Everything Else

Edited by Chunkah
spelling is important

Any chance you have hot water heat in the house? It's probably easy to run a new zone to the garage. I recently added one of these 12k BTU kickspace heaters to the ceiling of my 1000 ft basement. It's equivalent to 3500W, and at $270 it was much cheaper than any of the industrial hydronic or gas heaters. Also, now I have it on a Nest thermostat (free from utility) timed to only turn it on during my work hrs. Nice thing about the Nest is it learns how long it takes to warm, and then starts early based on outside temps.

k120-3.jpg