Angler #1

Salt Water Collectors Club

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Roy C said:

Capesams is has honest as they come and yes he is my friend but I wouldn’t cover up wrong doing for anyone. 

:th: 

2 hours ago, capesams said:

Signed: The bad apple

I knew you were a trouble maker :dismay:

;) 

1 hour ago, capesams said:

this is how it all started was by a few of the older collectors...they didn't like how well made my baits were made and thought that I and the baits should just disappear and thats how the crap started.

You've been a member here for two decades...and I can't think of one thing, one post or one thing you've done or said here that would lead me to believe you were anything but a talented builder and a polite and helpful person. Twenty years. 

2 mins ago, TimS said:

You've been a member here for two decades...and I can't think of one thing, one post or one thing you've done or said here that would lead me to believe you were anything but a talented builder and a polite and helpful person. Twenty years. 

Much appreciated Tim....I try my best....Thank you

16 mins ago, TimS said:

I concur.

Capesams is a generous, talented builder and a gentleman.  Perhaps 15 years ago, on this very forum, we were discussing some hot canal plugs from the 1960s and 70s that are no longer available.

One such plug was the Bass Bomb. A 4oz teardrop shaped plug, that cast like a casting weight.  It only had a single treble, and was a joy to cast. Not to mention the fish like it too. 

I mentioned when I was a kid, it was one of my favorites, and I'd love to find one, just to add to my collection.

About a week later, out of the blue, I received an email from capesams. Now keep in mind, we did not know each other.  He said he'd like to meet for coffee, and he'd also like to show me something. 

We met the next day. Besides the coffee, he presented me with 6 of his own custom made Bass Bombs. Beautiful plugs, in several different colors. Exactly replicas of the plug I used so successfully almost 30 years earlier. 

Unfortunately I can't post a photo because I fished them, quite successfully I may add. I think I lost my last one, possibly to a blue. 

Capesams, I bet you thought I forgot about it.  But my only regret is I didn't save one to hang on my wall. 

Thanks again.:howdy:

4 hours ago, gray gables said:

I’m trying get a grasp on this thread. Do people really think capesams was making plugs and trying to pass them off as old plugs? Please tell me I’m wrong? Steve makes the nicest reproduction plugs out there hands down. I’ve had few back in the day and sold them off to other collectors. His tarpon plug with the swing hooks was a work of art imo. 

I agree - I just bought one along with an original from another SWLCC member. Looking forward to displaying both in my home.

It’s a shame that happened @capesams I enjoy your work 

I’ve only been a SWLCC member for a little over year and i have only experienced positive things including an incredible amount of knowledge from collectors and builders

Looking forward to the show this year 

Tim from Plymouth 

On 1/28/2022 at 6:08 PM, capesams said:

It's a shame they do nothing to promote the collectors club..it was a great thing at one time...not so today. they just don't care.

To say the club does nothing to promote the show really shows that you know nothing about what is going on. Before the last few years, if I wasn’t already going to the show every year, I wouldnt even know the show existed. Now I see post on Facebook constantly about the show. Never mind all of the fliers that are handed out to every bait shop and antique shop in the area which is done on the free time of those who care and cherish the club that you constantly talk down on. The club is where it is today because of the promoting and the people that really know how great the club is. This thread started from someone going out of their way to kindly promote a club and to think the guy was forced by management to do so is idiotic. Have the slightest idea of what you are talking about before you post stuff

7 hours ago, babanch said:

In all seriousness I'm a member of the SWLCC and have been for almost 10 years. I'm not here to accuse or defend anyone but I personally have not seen nor even heard of the accusations being thrown around in this thread. I also consider the "management" good guys who put in countless hours of their free time towards the club and show. Any of you that seem to have a problem with them personally, or the way the club is being run, feel free to run against them...……..or kick rocks!

Our club is only as good as the people who participate and bring something positive to the table. Like most people, I can find fault with management; no matter what the sport or hobby. I've been a member since the very beginning and a contributor to our website and Facebook group. I do not know who most of you are; because you are shielded by your SOL handles. I'm not at all sure what anyone is saying about lures being restored and then being misrepresented to sell at a profit is actually happening. I'm 74 years old & haven't ever seen lures misrepresented at our annual show.

At 74, I am not interested in managing anything. I don't have the energy or desire to lead. Like babanch said: run against the current managers if you think that you can do better.

Having been both president and vice-president of the Farragut Striper Club, I can tell you that it's a thankless job. As a famous philosopher once said: "Haters gonna hate". Maybe if people used their real names, instead of handles; their opinions might be more tempered. I hope to make our show in May and hope to see you all there. B

I am making one last post in this thread. If you are into the history of surf fishing on the east coast, I highly recommend attending the SWLCC annual show. It is the only place where you can see the history of the sport that we love. You can talk to the experts about what they collect.

I am attaching a picture of 2 baits. The top bait is an original Chas. Russo squid which I'm lucky enough to own and the bottom is my cherished copy of the same squid which was painfully replicated by Steve Sylver (Capesams). I won the original in an auction and got the copy from Steve at one of our shows. I cannot say which one that I prefer; they both blow me away. Steve is my favorite modern builder. He will beg, borrow and steal to get it right. Peace/out!

20220131_220716.jpg

I live in town with Steve but didn't get to know him until he stopped wearing shopping bags to get on the school bus. He said he scared the little kids.

Only joking----Steve's joke.

All bullchit aside I stand by Steve. Good guy.

11 hours ago, bob jones said:

I am making one last post in this thread. If you are into the history of surf fishing on the east coast, I highly recommend attending the SWLCC annual show. It is the only place where you can see the history of the sport that we love. You can talk to the experts about what they collect.

I am attaching a picture of 2 baits. The top bait is an original Chas. Russo squid which I'm lucky enough to own and the bottom is my cherished copy of the same squid which was painfully replicated by Steve Sylver (Capesams). I won the original in an auction and got the copy from Steve at one of our shows. I cannot say which one that I prefer; they both blow me away. Steve is my favorite modern builder. He will beg, borrow and steal to get it right. Peace/out!

20220131_220716.jpg

That is a work of art.  

My thoughts on the "controversy".....   everyone has an opinion and perception often trumps reality.  I don't know the "rest of the story", and frankly I don't care   Lets look forward to the spring run and get on with life.  If folks want to bash each other, do it in a private message.  Id wager to say that the vast majority come here to get away from the day to day BS we are all forced to deal with.   Life is way to short to snipe here as well.

20 mins ago, bob_G said:

I have to be honest, but prior to this thread, I never heard of this show.

........and even more surprising, its venue was just up the street from your home.