Angler #1

Salt Water Collectors Club

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

SHOW         is being presently planned for May 13 and 14 at Whites of Westport Ma. Friday Night is for members only and it will be open on Saturday for general buying of wares. Members have the ability to buy a table for 15 bucks for both days. It will be open at Noon on Friday for set up and only members buying. It will be open on Saturday at 6.am for members to set up and at 8am for the general public. Parking is plenty ample and should be free .if any question should arise they should be answered here . Peace and Prayers

3 hours ago, capesams said:

Hi Carl.....hope the management of the club didn't rope you into putting up this post.....

Would it make any difference Steve.? Just keeping up with some of the other venues being posted that some of the viewers might be interested in attended. Peace and Prayers

On 1/24/2022 at 4:32 PM, Angler #1 said:

SHOW         is being presently planned for May 13 and 14 at Whites of Westport Ma. Friday Night is for members only and it will be open on Saturday for general buying of wares. Members have the ability to buy a table for 15 bucks for both days. It will be open at Noon on Friday for set up and only members buying. It will be open on Saturday at 6.am for members to set up and at 8am for the general public. Parking is plenty ample and should be free .if any question should arise they should be answered here . Peace and Prayers

A1 will you be going or have any of your collection there?

Love to see it.

44 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Would it make any difference Steve.? Just keeping up with some of the other venues being posted that some of the viewers might be interested in attended. Peace and Prayers

It's a shame they do nothing to promote the collectors club..it was a great thing at one time...not so today. they just don't care.

5 mins ago, capesams said:

It's a shame they do nothing to promote the collectors club..it was a great thing at one time...not so today. they just don't care.

I joined one year, went to the show and they had the recently caught and convicted poacher and builder there selling his plugs. That was it for me. 

13 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

A1 will you be going or have any of your collection there?

Love to see it.

I am still up in the air about putting some tables together . It takes so much effort and then it may not happen is my question. Last year I did as well staying home with some local venues . My post will be conducting some flea markets and I need to talk with the post commander and see what he may think about just fishing gear . Peace and Prayers

13 hours ago, capesams said:

That may be the case Steve however being a member and participant  sort of obligates one to help out on the advertising .      You seemed to do fine selling your custom plugs over the years ?  THe price of the tables are very reasonable at least compared to other venues .     Peace and Prayers

13 hours ago, ged said:

I joined one year, went to the show and they had the recently caught and convicted poacher and builder there selling his plugs. That was it for me. 

That is unfortunate for sure , but no more then those who where able to sell rebuilt plugs as new to unsuspecting collectors.    Peace and Prayers

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

That is unfortunate for sure , but no more then those who where able to sell rebuilt plugs as new to unsuspecting collectors.    Peace and Prayers

What does that mean Carl???

I think you should explain this a bit more and enlighten we unsuspecting collectors  

Edited by Roy C

16 hours ago, Roy C said:

I think you should explain this a bit more and enlighten we unsuspecting collectors  

It means what it says no more no less. Unless I heard incorrectly at the last show I attended Three different collectors  told me that some of those rebuilding plugs have got to a stage they can remake parts on some plugs so well that they are making some old collectables look new and are selling them as such. Some are able to duplicate even the colors.  No names . So the old saying buyer beware is rather appropriate under those situations. Peace and Prayers

18 hours ago, Roy C said:

I'm sure that won't be well received at the show.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I'm sure that won't be well received at the show.

I’m speculating here, but it may be that those who set up at the event, show professional courtesy to those who sell/trade “questionable” collectibles and keep their mouths shut about their fellow collectors.  Like the three monkeys…see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil.  

That would not be unusual for like minded people.  Medical profession, law enforcement , etc.  often maintain a wall of silence.  An honor among family members if you will. 

Of course, there is always the likelihood that some participants simply want to sully the reputation of another collector.  

In any event, as Carl rightfully said……….buyer beware. 

4 mins ago, Joe G said:

I’m speculating here, but it may be that those who set up at the event, show professional courtesy to those who sell/trade “questionable” collectibles and keep their mouths shut about their fellow collectors.  Like the three monkeys…see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil.  

That would not be unusual for like minded people.  Medical profession, law enforcement , etc.  often maintain a wall of silence.  An honor among family members if you will. 

Of course, there is always the likelihood that some participants simply want to sully the reputation of another collector.  

In any event, as Carl rightfully said……….buyer beware. 

But on the flip side Joe, why would the legit vendors stand up and cover up a phony?????????