bruceinva

Rods for Cobia?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Friend just got a new Robalo and we are hoping to target cobia this summer.  I suspect we will make a few trips out to VB and a handful out to Solomons Island.  I read on a prior post that recommended spinning reels in the 8000 range but how about rods?  I don't normally use anything longer than 7' unless I am fishing from the surf but a lot of people are recommending longer. I think I already have the conventional gear to soak baits, I am really looking for advice on something for tossing 2-3 oz bucktails with curly tails, or live eels around pilings around the CBBT or schools of rays.  

I have a Trevala TVS-70ML which is supposed to be a decent all around rod but I suspect that I need a slightly heavier longer rod.  I was thinking about the Shimano Teramar tms80xxh. 

I appreciate the recommendations and would like to stay under $200, preferably around $150.

Thanks

Bruce

That Teramar model may be a great deal stiffer/heavier than you expect. 

I believe it was created to chase tarpon with livelined bait.

The 8' Teramar line is very solid, but I'd scope the VA shops to feel out the models.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Inventory at the local Cabelas and Bass Pro is lacking inventory and it has been difficult to find anyplace local with a decent selection.  Don't want to do it but I might just have to order a couple of rods online and see what I think will work.  

I appreciate the input.

Bruce

Edited by bruceinva
correction

What state are you in?

I can think of several shops off the top

of my head in VA that should have stock of what you're looking at.

All else fails I can check my Teramar's stats and whip a few casts with like-presentations for input.

I am in Northern Virginia, any info you have is appreciated. 

My decision to go XXH was based on some erroneous info on the BPS site which only shows 2 handle lengths. 

It looks like the XH fits the bill unless you think Teramar's are under rated, in which case I could just go for the heavy.  I am also open to other rods.

Thanks

Bruce

Edited by bruceinva
content

11 hours ago, bruceinva said:

I am in Northern Virginia, any info you have is appreciated. 

My decision to go XXH was based on some erroneous info on the BPS site which only shows 2 handle lengths. 

It looks like the XH fits the bill unless you think Teramar's are under rated, in which case I could just go for the heavy.  I am also open to other rods.

Thanks

Bruce

I picked up a couple Ugly Stik Tiger Elite's 7' Heavy for kayak fishing for reds, cobia, and bass. I have heard nothing but good things about these rods from the boat and kayak. I grabbed mine from the Cabela's in Gainesville. They are around $80 and I'll be picking up a few more before the season kicks off.

From a boat… most cobia could be taken wirh a 6k reel and a 20-40 rod 7ft.   But if a biggun is around.  You want the 8k and a heavier rod.   Helll I catch 30lbers in the keys on a 4k stradic with 20lb braid and a 10-20 st croix avid.    Teramar is a good start or even a penn ssvi combo with a 5500 or 6500 from west marine.    The 30-50 rating is prolly  what you want.   Good luck.   

Edited by GreenMachine

I appreciate the input and just ordered a new rod and reel.   Truth is, I probably don't think I need new gear to pursue Cobia, this probably just an excuse to buy new gear or having nothing better to do in the winter.   Seems like the less fishing I do the more gear I get.  

I ended up ordering a 6K Spheros and a Heavy 8ft Teramar.  Been told the Teramar's can handle a little more than the rating so I hope it will be stout enough.

Not so sure I really want an 8 foot but I will check it out and compare with my friends newly ordered 7 ft'er. 

I have a 8k Stradic and 5K Daiwa and it just seems like overkill, I wish I needed to use reels that size and even bigger but the quarry I pursue just doesn't warrant it.  Like Green Machine said, perhaps I will just keep it around in case a biggun is around.  

Thanks again,

Bruce

9 hours ago, bruceinva said:

I appreciate the input and just ordered a new rod and reel.   Truth is, I probably don't think I need new gear to pursue Cobia, this probably just an excuse to buy new gear or having nothing better to do in the winter.   Seems like the less fishing I do the more gear I get.  

I ended up ordering a 6K Spheros and a Heavy 8ft Teramar.  Been told the Teramar's can handle a little more than the rating so I hope it will be stout enough.

Not so sure I really want an 8 foot but I will check it out and compare with my friends newly ordered 7 ft'er. 

I have a 8k Stradic and 5K Daiwa and it just seems like overkill, I wish I needed to use reels that size and even bigger but the quarry I pursue just doesn't warrant it.  Like Green Machine said, perhaps I will just keep it around in case a biggun is around.  

Thanks again,

Bruce

Join the club, lol.  Been starting to organize my gear and it's a little embarrassing how much I actually  have.

I have an older model 76MHXF  Teramar Inshore NE edition that was given to me.  Haven't fished it yet but feels stouter than my other MH rods.  It's rated up to 1.5oz where as my other MH rods are rated up to 1.25oz.  I might be able to sling a 2oz lure on it, guess I'll find out.

I'm going to be the odd one here, and being a Floridian my input may or may not be relevant at all. We're sight fishing here almost exclusively. We're picking them off the backs of rays, and spotting single cruisers. It helps to have a rod that can drop a 2oz popper on a dinner plate at 250'. Some days they swim right up to the boat, some days they're hard to approach. Either way you're at the mercy of the captain, and the fish, and having a little extra range isn't going to hurt. I use a GSB 108-1m, and so far it's been a delightful rod for both tarpon and cobia. Even when the fight goes vertical, I don't feel like the extra length is a liability.

Lots of very good rods out there... choose one long enough to comfortably fight a fish over the motor from one side of the stern to the other.