gobigblue

replacing 2x6 decking with composite

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

current deck is a plain rectangle 14x20', the joists are spaced 24"oc.  the 2x6 boards are laid along the 20' length parallel to the house, all pressure treated wood and oil stained.  they're actually in really good shape for their age i would guess something like 7ish years ago?  can you go right over existing deck boards with composite perpendicular without any issues?  seems like a much faster(and cheaper) way to do re do a deck esp diy.  there is almost 3" of clearance for my outswinging storm door so clearance should be an issue.  just day dreaming of a new spring project.  id like to hear any and all experiences good or bad.  terrible old picture of the deck when i bought the house below.

Edited by gobigblue

If your rip it up you will have to add joists. Some of the new composite is rated for 16" on center, but it feels better 12" on center. I have Timberteck on 12" OC joists, and there are times when I can feel it move a bit when walking on it. I cannot imagine in on 16" OC.  I would worry about moisture issues laying composite directly on top of the 2x6 material. FWIW I am just a DIY guy, not a professional. Hoping one of our resident pros will help out with more info. 

I have never even heard this suggested before... But first, you need to get a very good assessment of your existing frame members. If your beam (or girder) is good, you might be able to repurpose your "really good shape" 2x6 deckboards by doubling them between your existing joists so you now have less than 12"oc. While it would save money vs. buying the new 2x10, it might not be worth the effort or even viable, depending on condition after taking them up... Either way, you need to double up on joists. Do your math carefully before ordering the composite, because it ain't cheap. You need to stagger joints three rows apart anyway, so figure out how many 16', 12' or what ever lengths you can get it in. Which ones are square edged vs grooved for certain hidden fastening systems. What fastening system? Picture frame? You need to be sure you get enough if a special order color. Believe me. I had to scramble to get three 20s and a 12 two summers ago. (it had been discontinued, because it was popular... just like fishing lures) They came out of three different east coast lumber yards.

Rip that whole deck down and start over. Going over existing decking with new decking is a terrible idea and probably against manufacturers warranty. Any synthetic decking has to be laid over a deck that is framed 16” of. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that’s the correct way to do it. 

thanks guys.  a total tear down and rebuild is def not currently an option.  the footings/posts/beams/ledger are all good seems like it would be a waste anyway to do that. might move on to a plan b and add joists between which would put me at 12".

On 1/24/2022 at 3:32 PM, foxfai said:

Why is this color so popular!? I need to replace mine too.

because everyone stained/painted their old deck damn near the same color. most siding was white for many years. color cost more.

those colors were old,tired, and bland.   i like the grayish colors inside and out. the white trim really pops and sets off the grey.

i just finished the master bath in grey.  the living room is grayish-blue.  

b.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

12 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

my original wood frame was used after he shured it better then it was. the steps were ripped down and reframed and all the decking was removed.

deck.jpg

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

looks great.  at a minimum i will probably definitely be re-doing the deck rails/balusters hopefully this year.

1 min ago, gobigblue said:

looks great.  at a minimum i will probably definitely be re-doing the deck rails/balusters hopefully this year.

thanks.  i see your steps were built like mine. the new steps were framed out with 2x6 and bolted to the frame,not nailed.  no flex at all or movement . very sound and sturdy.

2 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

thanks.  i see your steps were built like mine. the new steps were framed out with 2x6 and bolted to the frame,not nailed.  no flex at all or movement . very sound and sturdy.

i would only re-do the steps if i re do the actual decking material.  ill probably move them go straight out from where my door opens, instead of the the side like they are now.  i have a pretty good slope away from my house all the way down to the river, which is good, but upsets my symmetrical OCD tendencies.

i have steps on both sides. the one you can see goes to the yard. the other to the driveway. the kid that did the work did a great job. i was so impressed how he made the frame and steps so tight.  and made it so level, the rain water cant decide which way to go.   the material was like 3g and he charged 3g. i had two other estimates,one cheaper one was more. i paid him want he wanted, then handed him a generous tip