Sleve

To clip, or not to clip?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

That is the question.

I dressed this hook with full intentions to clip the business end off for use as a tail flag on this spook. Before I do, I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts on tail hooks were. I typically fish plugs with a tail hook, but can't recall many fish caught on the tail. I have also read that the tail hook only serves as a way for bigger fish to lever themselves free. Would you clip it or leave it?

spook.png

Edited by Sleve

I think in research and development (R/D) there is a learning curve and progression.

In plug making, what do you want it to do, how will it balance, how will it float or sit in the water?

There is no right answer right away. Plug makers tinker with balance and materials all the time.

It may be replacing hooks, changing hook locations, adding another till they get their desired effect.

After all that they listen to the fish for more feedback.

I see no problem adding material to a single hook and removing a treble. There is little weight changed involved.

It's always been done. Plug guys have always added bucktail to trebles too.

To me it varies plug to plug, and rig certain plugs for certain conditions.  SP's and a few other plastic swimmers are almost all canal rigged, i like the swim and it makes unhooking fish much easier especially at night and when wading.  I do not like to have 2 sets of trebles on any plugs, its trouble waiting to happen, unless it affects their swim. Some lures do not swim the same without it.  Otherwise i place a dressed siwash or flag on everything, tied more or less sparsely depending on how i want it to swim. At times when bigger fish hit my plug in current, at some spots, they never get the treble well enough and many times that tail hook will hold, especially on mag darters that have a smaller front treble.

Also it is partially about tangles, when you have a bunch of plugs with trebles and you are getting knocked around or jumping around rocks they all get tangled. Sucks on a dark night or when bite breaks open to reach for that plug and get a tangled mess of 5 of them

Some of the largest bass I’ve ever landed were hooked only on the rear hook of the plug that caught them. 
Your choice. 

9 hours ago, DZ said:

Some of the largest bass I’ve ever landed were hooked only on the rear hook of the plug that caught them. 
Your choice. 

Couldn't agree more! Had many on only the tail hook. My friend took a 59 on a 3oz Donny bottle in Montauk. The only hook that ever was in the fish was the tail hook siwash. My strongest argument against "flag fever". Different strokes for different folks.

I see lots of plugs these days, some over 8" in length,  with only one belly treble on them with no treble or J style hook on the rear. From my experience no tail hook on a plug of any size will result in a lot of missed fish. And, like Steve and Dennis, I've caught some very large fish on the tail hook of plugs which I may have missed otherwise.

In my opinion, for every striper that takes the rear treble in the lip, 20 others take it in the eye, the gill, the throat, the side...

I'd rather not have it there to be honest.

But to each their own.

But I have noticed with many Spook style lures if you don't have some sort of weight in the rear they will dive a bit on the retreive and not sit level on topwater.

Great discussion and personal experiences. Thanks a lot, guys! I will fish it with the dressed siwash and see how I, and more importantly the fish, will like it.

I replace the rear treble with a dressed single on almost every lure I have, except a few darters and spooks.  If the action suffers I can adjust the dressing on the single until it gets back to where it should be.  The few exceptions I just couldn't seem to tune without the rear treble. 

Every time I've seriously hooked myself it's been on the tail hook, single or treble. 

Most lures i fish have a tail hook. Some surface swimmers with 2 belly hooks i have a flag on the back.Have caught an awful lot of fish on just the rear hook. I realize some fish are going to have the other hook in some part of their body sometimes. I am fishing to catch fish. I also dont believe the other hook is doing this awful damage as some think.