PSegnatelli

What's left to harvest??

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I keep reading reports on the stocks of fish. 

And they Suck!

Striped bass. 

Bluefish

Fluke

Winter Flounder

Mackerel

Herring

And on and on and on

 

I eat alot of fish. I like to keep fish to eat. I try to leave the fish with struggling numbers alone, but I'm getting to the point that I'm running out of options. 

 

So my question is.  What New England gamefish isn't doing crappy? Scup, sea robins and skate?? Will I have to resort  asian shore crabs & killies?

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, hookmeup said:

Sea robins, skates, bergalls, porgies

All tasty. And fun on light tackle. 

But even these I feel are going down.  I caught very few last year.  Maybe it was LIS and less time fishing. But it sucked.  I don't think I caught a dozen fish worth bringing home.  

Only put 5 or 6 sea robins in the freezer. Couple scup. 

I caught 1 slot bass that I released and a few short fluke.  ZERO bluefish!!  Not even a snapper.  

 

Sorry. I'm really just biotching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black sea bass. Can't get away from them in my neck of the woods. Hard to fish eels in some spots with the sea bass harassing them constantly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That brings up another peev of mine.  

Eels for bait.  They're on the brink of being classified as endangered and yet we still net the fry for sushi $$$ and impale them on hooks  to catch a fish that is in better stock shape.     Just doesn't make sense IMO.    

 

Just seems screwy.  But what do I know.  I'm just a busdriver.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No shortage of bluefish, porgy, tautog, and sea bass from what I know. Bluefish were around all year and consistently last year in RI. Unfortunately the guaranteed spot near home the last few years was completely dead (at least for me) the last 2 years but they aren’t hard to find consistently if you found them in the summer. Don’t listen to everything everyone says on here complaining about lack of fish and size. It’s usually just the same old heads fishing the same spots year after year hoping for the fish to show up. You got to know when to call it quits on a spot and move. Come back when reports suggest trickle in of better fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I keep reading reports on the stocks of fish. 

And they Suck!

Striped bass. 

Bluefish

Fluke

Winter Flounder

Mackerel

Herring

And on and on and on

 

I eat alot of fish. I like to keep fish to eat. I try to leave the fish with struggling numbers alone, but I'm getting to the point that I'm running out of options. 

 

So my question is.  What New England gamefish isn't doing crappy? Scup, sea robins and skate?? Will I have to resort  asian shore crabs & killies?

Haddock pollack seabass scup tatog to name a few

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people mentioning tog... just yesterday I read some stuff on people wanting to implement new rules on tog... something about only 1 21"+ tog per person per day and bringing the fall season bag limit down 1. be careful what you wish for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is all the scup you can catch bottom is paved, def less sea robins last year then the past few. But i have no complaints about that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

No shortage of bluefish, porgy, tautog, and sea bass from what I know. Bluefish were around all year and consistently last year in RI. Unfortunately the guaranteed spot near home the last few years was completely dead (at least for me) the last 2 years but they aren’t hard to find consistently if you found them in the summer. Don’t listen to everything everyone says on here complaining about lack of fish and size. It’s usually just the same old heads fishing the same spots year after year hoping for the fish to show up. You got to know when to call it quits on a spot and move. Come back when reports suggest trickle in of better fishing. 


Give us all your bluefish GDI.

 

Although, I suppose between the insipid minimum on bass + the seatrout, drum and spanish mackerel I can't really complain.

 

Saw plenty of tog in the DE/MD atlantic.

 

Maybe you should fish for dogfish....@PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

 What New England gamefish isn't doing crappie?

Fixed it for you.  That, perch and panfish.

 

Otherwise it's restaurants and supermarkets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Fixed it for you.  That, perch and panfish.

 

Otherwise it's restaurants and supermarkets.

Honestly. Your not wrong. 

 

34 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

Bunker. Bleed them right away and put them on ice. It's all in the prep!

I wish you weren't kidding.   I could have filled my belly 10x over on bunker last year.   Maybe peanuts. But honestly never really tried.   

 

Maybe less predators will equal more squid.  That would be pretty awesome IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.