Jason C

Reel buying tips needed

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hello! I am new to this forum.

I need recommendations & advice on buying a spinning reel. 

Looking for a spinning reel that I can both use on a 10ft medium surf rod for striper and blue & on a 7ft medium rod on the kayak for blackfish. 

Since I will use it both for surf and kayak, it needs some kind of seals. I like it to be powerful, rigid, and strong. Can hold at least 200+ yards of 30lb braid. Weights 10oz - 15oz range.  I am only able to spend up to about $300. 

Any recommendations ?? Thanks !!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Jason,I would look into the Shimano Saragosa 6000SW,versatile, good on the right 7’ and most 10’s,strong,light,sealed and under $300,

Edited by relentless pursuit

33 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

Hi Jason,I would look into the Shimano Saragosa 6000SW,versatile, good on the right 7’ and most 10’s,strong,light,sealed and under $300,

Hello! Thanks for the advice. I do thought about Saragosa 6000sw, but it is like 16oz, which makes me feel that's a bit heavy. I have been using a Penn clash 4000 for this, which is light (like 11oz) and comfortable but it's not powerful enough for this kind of application. However, I also really like the smoothness of a shimano though.

It's frustrating to make these choices :p             

Seems like you are asking a lot.  10 oz is pretty light.  I have a Saltx that is very powerful but a little out of your range weight wise.  The Daiwa ballistic is super light but will not handle dunks as such.  You may need to compromise on the weight a little.  

You're going to be lacking one way or another....either overweight and large for the 7' or too small and not "powerful" enough for the 10'. You're going to have to compromise somewhere- weight, power, etc. How are you determining "power"? are you referring to the drag?

Penn sla 3 4500. Just under 15 ounces, I use it on 10-11’ surf rods, inshore yak rods, and for FW bass and pike

Thanks for the advice guys !! :D

I admit that I am asking too much and being picky. Perhaps that's why it makes me feel particularly frustrating. Reels for kayak and surf normally belong to two different applications and best to get two reels to fit their own specific needs. But I am tight on the budget right now and can't buy two reels. So it's just difficult to find a reel that can do both.

I am asking because I fish central northshore Long Island both from shore and kayak. By "power", I mean the ability of the reel that can handle the first few initial cranks when I set the hook on the fish and able to get it out of the structure and have it in control. I think it's a combination of drag, rigid body construction of the reel, and having a slightly longer powerful reel handle would also help. I personally found it very important when I am going for blackfish and striper fishing around the boulders of Northshore Long Island. My Penn clash 4000 can barely handle this sometimes and I still lost quite a lot of fish. However, by needing power, I will need to compromise on the weight, which makes me not so comfortable as I am so used to lightweight setups. 

Penn slammer 4500 seems a good choice for now, but should I save more money for a Shimano twinpower sw 4000 for lighter and smoother ?? 

Of all the features you are looking for, I think you can compromise on weight. Penn Slammer 4500 or Shimano Saragosa 6000 in the 15-16 ounce range should be fine for a long day of casting. Body size is versatile enough to use on a 7.5 to 10-foot rod.

Check out some of the recent yak gear threads in the forum. It seems like people are using less expensive reels on the yak given the extra wear and tear and the potential for loss.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:56 PM, Jason C said:

Thanks for the advice guys !! :D

I admit that I am asking too much and being picky. Perhaps that's why it makes me feel particularly frustrating. Reels for kayak and surf normally belong to two different applications and best to get two reels to fit their own specific needs. But I am tight on the budget right now and can't buy two reels. So it's just difficult to find a reel that can do both.

I am asking because I fish central northshore Long Island both from shore and kayak. By "power", I mean the ability of the reel that can handle the first few initial cranks when I set the hook on the fish and able to get it out of the structure and have it in control. I think it's a combination of drag, rigid body construction of the reel, and having a slightly longer powerful reel handle would also help. I personally found it very important when I am going for blackfish and striper fishing around the boulders of Northshore Long Island. My Penn clash 4000 can barely handle this sometimes and I still lost quite a lot of fish. However, by needing power, I will need to compromise on the weight, which makes me not so comfortable as I am so used to lightweight setups. 

Penn slammer 4500 seems a good choice for now, but should I save more money for a Shimano twinpower sw 4000 for lighter and smoother ?? 

Go for the saragosa.  One ounce outside of your 10-15 ounce range will be imperceptible.

Sounds like you already have a good kayak reel in the clash. Just buy a bigger surf reel for the 10’. In my experience the cheaper sealed reels have just let the water in and not left it out. Spinfisher v would collect water . Most the budget sealed reels still let the water in the top.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:50 PM, Jason C said:

Hello! I am new to this forum.

I need recommendations & advice on buying a spinning reel. 

Looking for a spinning reel that I can both use on a 10ft medium surf rod for striper and blue & on a 7ft medium rod on the kayak for blackfish. 

Since I will use it both for surf and kayak, it needs some kind of seals. I like it to be powerful, rigid, and strong. Can hold at least 200+ yards of 30lb braid. Weights 10oz - 15oz range.  I am only able to spend up to about $300. 

Any recommendations ?? Thanks !!

Diawa saltist mq 3000