Fly Finatic

How much roll is to much

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Chunkah said:

In my mind some roll is good, real good, as long as the plug doesn't roll out. Try moving the weight back a bit. For me, much depends on the conditions I plan on fishing with a plug that determines the weighting and resulting action. 

Thanks.  I saw a few other that had the same roll as mine.  I'll try them all. 

4 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Agree with these guys. Roll is not always bad, especially if it is not rolling out. Leave eyes off if it bothers you and go with basic paints. I've watched wounded baitfish after being hit by larger fish that were rolling so bad one eye would be looking directly up and the other directly down. That rolling motion can create some action for the plug and might be the difference between one that gets hit and one that doesn't.

Thanks guys.  I'll fish them and see what happens! 

Just my opinion, but testing has led me to believe it's true at least most of the time, the lip acts like a lever, the water pushes on the lever, and the plug rolls while also swimming. More lever, more roll, so the more lip is sticking off the body,, the more roll I see. Try moving the lip slot slightly up from center, see if this helps, it has for me..It bugs me when I see the plug roll 180 degrees, showing me one eye and then the other.

8 hours ago, Fly Finatic said:

Yes. I use split rings but size 3/0 vmc trebbles

I think if you rewove the splits and use open eye hooks you will notice the action will be different. The brand or size of either component have little to do with it but the fact that both are being used in conjunction does in my opinion.

cupping a lip makes for a tighter wiggle like a rebel or bomber would swim....something else that was a well kept secert was putting on a larger front hook....one needs to look at the different size hooks of the past verse the size of the new ones today ,many are building the same baits as was made back when but using to smaller lighter hooks.

Sometimes I'll add a good shot of lead in the belly, behind the hook. Up to 1/4 oz.

When using a wider lip, sometimes I add a tail weight. 

A good reason for a solid color and blind. Also putting your weight at the bottom of the plug can curb some rolling too. So instead of a 3/8 dia belly weight say 3/4 long go with a 1/2 or 5/8 diameter weight by a 1/4 or an 1/8” long  same amount of weight but lower on belly. More of  a keel effect 

I go with blind, solid color and ignore the roll. I like all white or yellow. I concentrate on the rest of the action. I build mine for use over boulder fields or on flat water off the beach. I want the tail wagging on the surface, leaving a wake. The bass don’t seem to care about the roll. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think any plug with a metal lip will have some roll. If its not rolling out I wouldn't worry unless its on the verge of rolling out. 

One "good" thing about roll. When using a dark color over a light color and lets says a silver down the center. I feel the roll helps in adding flash as if a bait fish is in danger and trying to get away.

Some things that come to mind.

Line tie too low. I like high to mid. Personal preference

Lip slot too low. I try and keep mine above center. Personal preference. 

Try bigger/heavier hooks. I see a lot of undersized hooks on plugs. Myself included.  

Not enough keel weight. Maybe add a second weight instead of using 1 bigger weight. Keep the weight as low as possible. 

Wrong lip altogether. 

Edited by Rui