Fly Finatic

How much roll is to much

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been turning some Donny plugs and have tried a number of lips.  I used pine 2x2. 

I was hoping for no roll but no matter what lip I try the plugs roll. They don't roll out but it's they had eyes the would look at 2 and 10 alot. 

My next try is going to be ayc.

Other donnys I have bought also roll about the same. 

Is this normal?   

Thanks

Jeremy 

27 mins ago, lazzyone said:

You can also try cupping the sides of the lip. 

What effect do you think the cupping creates? To be clear is “cupping” what’s on the edge of Conrad lips?

thanks!

I always plugged the through holes and float tested the blank several times. Knowing what side was up, I would then cut he lip.

1 hour ago, AKotoun said:

What effect do you think the cupping creates? To be clear is “cupping” what’s on the edge of Conrad lips?

thanks!

Yes by cupped I mean turning the sides of the lip up a little.  I honestly couldn't tell you the physics  behind why it works but in some instances it makes a difference in the amount of roll.  I myself have never found it to be necessary in my builds, except for the conrad.  

So what’s the difference bw a Conrad with and without cupping? Which one rolls more?

thanks for this. Always wondered why the Conrad had those little details that other plugs don’t. 

1 hour ago, AKotoun said:

So what’s the difference bw a Conrad with and without cupping? Which one rolls more?

thanks for this. Always wondered why the Conrad had those little details that other plugs don’t. 

Several other models made by Danny had "rolled" lips. I don't have any to verify but working from memory is the Lg Surface Swimmer, Slopeheads, Sandeel plugs, 40 and Jr Atoms as well as Atom brand Atom 40's 

In my mind some roll is good, real good, as long as the plug doesn't roll out. Try moving the weight back a bit. For me, much depends on the conditions I plan on fishing with a plug that determines the weighting and resulting action. 

a 10 to 2 roll sounds like a good build to me. I mean without roll, that style of plug would essentially have no action at all. Lipped builds (besides lipped darters...) basically need some type of body roll in order to have any action at all.

If it was such an extreme roll that it causes the plug to "roll out" and go belly up, then you'd have some troubleshooting to do. Otherwise, by your description it sounds like decent action.

45 mins ago, Kphresh said:

a 10 to 2 roll sounds like a good build to me. I mean without roll, that style of plug would essentially have no action at all. Lipped builds (besides lipped darters...) basically need some type of body roll in order to have any action at all.

If it was such an extreme roll that it causes the plug to "roll out" and go belly up, then you'd have some troubleshooting to do. Otherwise, by your description it sounds like decent action.

1 hour ago, Chunkah said:

In my mind some roll is good, real good, as long as the plug doesn't roll out. Try moving the weight back a bit. For me, much depends on the conditions I plan on fishing with a plug that determines the weighting and resulting action. 

Agree with these guys. Roll is not always bad, especially if it is not rolling out. Leave eyes off if it bothers you and go with basic paints. I've watched wounded baitfish after being hit by larger fish that were rolling so bad one eye would be looking directly up and the other directly down. That rolling motion can create some action for the plug and might be the difference between one that gets hit and one that doesn't.

10 hours ago, lazzyone said:

What lip are you using? High or mid slot? for the larger Donny I use a pikie 3 high slot.  For the Junior size I use the lefty 2 high slot.  

I tried top and mid danny and pikie size 2. I thought a 3 would be too big.  I will try the 3 and see what happens