yogiiiboy

Upperman Bucktail

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, LB said:

l have had good luck with these bucktails since the 60s and old timer had the molds there was 2 sizes this is the 1oz the other was 1-1/2oz he would lend out the mold so l made a mold out of plaster.

20210303_083222.jpg.46197e9bff1ff6382f3a578d64890dad.jpg20210303_082547.jpg.b33391fba05c38145f71956b63551d1e.jpg

You still make these?

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What size mold you get?

20210907_153352.jpg.01926839644feb783c44b304b861c9bd.jpg

They come out pretty thin! The mold is kinda loose but with a clamp it works good.  I opened the hook slot a little to fit a heavier hook. 

I thought I took pics of the jigs I casted but I musta deleted them.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

20210907_153352.jpg.01926839644feb783c44b304b861c9bd.jpg

They come out pretty thin! The mold is kinda loose but with a clamp it works good.  I opened the hook slot a little to fit a heavier hook. 

I thought I took pics of the jigs I casted but I musta deleted them.  

Looks like a Palmer mold

7 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Yes Sir……. Homemade??

Yes but a lot heavier than you are talking about. 

Around 4 oz. I think.

I should tie some more up sparsely like you were saying 

So when I was a kid, an old timer surfman form LIS taught me what he knew about striped bass from the heyday.  He only fished two things: 1. Upperman Bucktails and 2. Stan Gibbs wooden poppers.  Uppermans were in the military survival kits.  

The newer flatheads, Lima beans, etc are not the same.  The original Upperman had its eye way forward on the head.  Also, the heads were pretty flat and thin side to side.  Gave the jig a "flip" action when twitched on the retrieve.   None of the new flatheads or limas that I found have anywhere near that action.  Someone needs to make the correct molds or find a treasure trove of originals...

On 1/23/2022 at 8:09 PM, yogiiiboy said:

Funny you say that Segs...... i contacted Hopkins this past summer and posed them that very same question to a rep who answered the phone.  The young lady said that she would bring that up during their fall "conference" get together.  I'm assuming she was close to the company's brass and would mention re-introducing the Hammertail as i wasn't the only one inquiring about the old-time lure.

Hi Yogi,

Here are examples of the current do it molds flat jigs. I cast my own jigs, mostly. It's no big deal. I'm sure you could get

pretty close to the jig of your dreams. You might have to modify a mold a bit, if you want a different style or size hook though. Anyway, it's a fun thing to do in the off season.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 7.38.04 AM.png

15 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I got a pack to try on small eel jigs.  Was also thinking Pet Spoons, Hopkins fixed hook spoons etc. 

I used the 2in sandworms on a small diamond jig and it worked well. 

We used to troll real sandworms on #15 Pet spoons.  

Remove the hook, add one of the old JT "Pin Bass Hooks" by looping it through the hook slit at the back of the spoon, replace the original hook.  Add two live sandworms, and slow-troll through the boulder fields off SW Connecticut.

It was extremely effective, back in the '60s and '70s, before the collapse.

3 hours ago, DrBob said:

So when I was a kid, an old timer surfman form LIS taught me what he knew about striped bass from the heyday.  He only fished two things: 1. Upperman Bucktails and 2. Stan Gibbs wooden poppers.  Uppermans were in the military survival kits.  

The newer flatheads, Lima beans, etc are not the same.  The original Upperman had its eye way forward on the head.  Also, the heads were pretty flat and thin side to side.  Gave the jig a "flip" action when twitched on the retrieve.   None of the new flatheads or limas that I found have anywhere near that action.  Someone needs to make the correct molds or find a treasure trove of originals...

Exactly!!!!  This is why I said the “Closest” model of Upperman’s jig you described above, is the Andrus Flat Head!  It’s still not to Upperman’s standards, but it’s got a much thinner bean shape than many others, in addition to, its’ sparsely tied bucktail trailer.

We do need for someone to copy that Upperman mold and bring back this dynamic  lure.  I mean we look for lures that slay fish all the time……we have one right in front of our noses that’s tried and true …..and yet….. there are no replicas??  Can this bucktail not be made again to similar specifications?  In the meantime, the Andrus model is doing its share of slaying for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, DrBob said:

lf you have any Uppermans you could make 2 part molds out of plaster let them dry out them put the mold in the oven low heat to get all the moisture out of them the longer the better other wise it could expload.

Edited by LB

15 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Hmmm I need to find some to try.

I started using these last year...

20210313_195316.jpg

20210313_190838.jpg

20210313_200855.jpg

Have u tried punching a grommet in the nose ? Dan Tinman turned me on to that. 

Just now, PSegnatelli said:

Have u tried punching a grommet in the nose ? Dan Tinman turned me on to that. 

Nope just a small clip or tie directly 

Trying to keep it simple 

a 3/8  upperman still in the package 

back in the day . we found some knockoffs somewhere  and at the time 

probably bought them all      

they look to be 1/4 oz

the 3rd is a white that was on the wall of shame ...looks like 1/2 oz

trolling worms was a  completely  different game 

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG