yogiiiboy

Upperman Bucktail

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Agreed Charles…… although, I’ve experimented this past summer with the thin Gulp Saltwater Sandworm as a trailer and with great success.  The Sandworm is thin enough as to not impede on the lure’s ability to dart…. Which we all know is the key to its superb catch-ability :th:

What length sandworm u usin?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, HoldMyBass said:

You tell me… these things are definitely oldCE0323D2-C13B-461C-9848-19FF2DAAF461.jpeg.a92333c102bfb1b254eee7a4a3560498.jpeg

50EFE2A0-1B0E-49F9-A730-B5E7E5A6B737.jpeg

Damn HoldMyBass……..seems like you have a mini arsenal!!!

Edited by yogiiiboy

1 min ago, yogiiiboy said:

5”- 6”

unbelievable action!

I got a pack to try on small eel jigs.  Was also thinking Pet Spoons, Hopkins fixed hook spoons etc. 

I used the 2in sandworms on a small diamond jig and it worked well. 

woooooooooo   / that was the go to .. when  we fished in the 60,s 

the red & white head with white buck .yellow   was the  2nd choice 

then when the 1st of the squeteague started to come here   it was nimber one

tralers hadn,t even started to be used back then   . the only time we did was holdover fishing & that was  using fresh clamworms  .....still got em  

we use get our yearly supplies when we went to the distributors show with a baitshop dealer . everything had to be bought in quantity .. tjese were on a stapled to a card ..   and as far as poppers back them it was the cc popper    /  all white  ,   pink & yellow , chrome  & finally amber .in that order ....... never did much with the blue or  green mackerel 

30 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Damn HoldMyBass……..seems like you have a mini arsenal!!!

Had these passed along with some other older odds and ends I always try to repurpose.  Never knew anything about these till know.  Seem like killer mini buck tails

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I got a pack to try on small eel jigs.  Was also thinking Pet Spoons, Hopkins fixed hook spoons etc. 

I used the 2in sandworms on a small diamond jig and it worked well. 

The longer thin tail on the Sandworm whips like crazy due to the amazing ability of the Upperman’s shape!  Really surprised many others don’t use this type of flat head bucktail nowadays…

58 mins ago, HoldMyBass said:

Had these passed along with some other older odds and ends I always try to repurpose.  Never knew anything about these till know.  Seem like killer mini buck tails

Try them out on some light tackle…..but I suggest you keep a couple as is for old time memorabilia  :th:

On 1/23/2022 at 4:29 PM, yogiiiboy said:

How many of you still fish this awesome bucktail?  This by far is my favorite style bucktail, especially for fluke in the summertime surf.  Although, I've caught every type of species with this jig along the coast....spring, summer, winter and fall.  Its' magic lies with the unpredictable spin/dart action that comes with the slightest of rod tip jerks.  Drives fish absolutely berserk.  Surprisingly, i've caught more without a trailer than with one.  Typical trailers may weigh down its' ability to dash and dart ....... so thin 3", 4" Powerbait worms have done best for me when i choose to enhance.  The key to this particular bucktail's performance is also in the amount of bucktail hair that is tied to the jig.  Sparse is the word of the day with this lure.......as your more typical to generous amounts of hair will weigh down the jig and ruin its' ability to shine.  Not too many guys tie this bucktail correctly anymore.  My experience has found that only Richie Andrus continues to make this bucktail as close as Bill Upperman did in his day.

Just an awesome, awesome jig that really outshines the rest of them, IMO.  Wondering if any of you still fish this lure on a regular basis.

Like these?

20211230_101316.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 5:41 PM, PSegnatelli said:

I bought a old mold for smaller bean jigs. 

I casted a few outta tin but having a bear of a time tyin bucktails.  Fingers just won't work right.  

So I was thinking of using a rubber skirt for a LMB jig or one of those squid hoochies.   

But I haven't tried them with a thin Gulp bait like a sandworm yet. So there is still hope!

Also. Wish hopkins would bring back the hammertail. 

What size mold you get?

l have had good luck with these bucktails since the 60s and old timer had the molds there was 2 sizes this is the 1oz the other was 1-1/2oz he would lend out the mold so l made a mold out of plaster.

20210303_083222.jpg.46197e9bff1ff6382f3a578d64890dad.jpg20210303_082547.jpg.b33391fba05c38145f71956b63551d1e.jpg