yogiiiboy

Upperman Bucktail

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, DZ said:

Both great jigs but I’m thinking the Andrus comes with stronger hooks.  

That goes without saying Dennis.  Very strong, indeed......

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Understood.......the Upperman's eye hook is much closer, almost in line with the jig itself ......but again, these are the closest i found that mimics the original :th:

l was just pointed out the difference, l'm sure they will work just as well.

Edited by LB

@Dan Tinman has an awesome lima bean. I've tried tying the hair high and tight on other jigs and adding the "firm core" but there's definitely something about that eye jig balance makes em go berserk! epecially around peanuts. 

"The distribution of the weight of the lure is such that the eye I6 is disposed substantially above the center of gravity, preferably a little forward thereof so that the drag of the bucktail is sufficient to cause the lure to ride level with the bill up when drawn through the water"

"Fig. 7 illustrates a further modification of the invention as regards the make-up and manner of attaching the bucktail to the lure. This,embodiment of the invention is practiced where a heavier or bushier bucktail is desiredand comprises an inner layer or bunch of hairs l6 positioned around the neck 41 of a streamlined body 48, which may be similar to any of those previously described, and secured by wrappings 49. The wrappings 48 in addition to being located at the base and tip of the neck, also preferably are continuous along the length thereof to firmly bind the inner bunch of hair and to form a firm core for an outer bunch or layer of hairs 5O overlying the inner bunch and wrappings therefor. The outer layer of hairs is secured by wrappings 5| which extend from the base of the neck 41 rearwardly and terminate short of the under wrappings at tip thereof so that the outer layer of hairs is caused to fan out more, as indicated at 52."

US2315304-drawings-page-1.png.ec0ef15bb12de59cb7320f3a11398cb1.pngUS2315304-drawings-page-2.png.82ffe96cbdbea5591ad35cb1554364b9.png

44 mins ago, LB said:

l was just pointed out the difference, l'm sure they will work just as well.

I've had great success with 'em.......:th:

36 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

@Dan Tinman has an awesome lima bean. I've tried tying the hair high and tight on other jigs and adding the "firm core" but there's definitely something about that eye jig balance makes em go berserk! epecially around peanuts. 

"The distribution of the weight of the lure is such that the eye I6 is disposed substantially above the center of gravity, preferably a little forward thereof so that the drag of the bucktail is sufficient to cause the lure to ride level with the bill up when drawn through the water"

"Fig. 7 illustrates a further modification of the invention as regards the make-up and manner of attaching the bucktail to the lure. This,embodiment of the invention is practiced where a heavier or bushier bucktail is desiredand comprises an inner layer or bunch of hairs l6 positioned around the neck 41 of a streamlined body 48, which may be similar to any of those previously described, and secured by wrappings 49. The wrappings 48 in addition to being located at the base and tip of the neck, also preferably are continuous along the length thereof to firmly bind the inner bunch of hair and to form a firm core for an outer bunch or layer of hairs 5O overlying the inner bunch and wrappings therefor. The outer layer of hairs is secured by wrappings 5| which extend from the base of the neck 41 rearwardly and terminate short of the under wrappings at tip thereof so that the outer layer of hairs is caused to fan out more, as indicated at 52."

US2315304-drawings-page-1.png.ec0ef15bb12de59cb7320f3a11398cb1.pngUS2315304-drawings-page-2.png.82ffe96cbdbea5591ad35cb1554364b9.png

Seems like Upperman tied twice on the jig.  Would you happen to have further illustrations that actually goes further into explanations of his numerical points?

53 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Seems like Upperman tied twice on the jig.  Would you happen to have further illustrations that actually goes further into explanations of his numerical points?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2315304A/en

It's a fun read. They had several different ties based on the jig weight. Seems they were all about streamlining the profile like you described with the sparse hair and minimal trailer. 

Edited by Bait Tailer

18 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

How many of you still fish this awesome bucktail?  This by far is my favorite style bucktail, especially for fluke in the summertime surf.  Although, I've caught every type of species with this jig along the coast....spring, summer, winter and fall.  Its' magic lies with the unpredictable spin/dart action that comes with the slightest of rod tip jerks.  Drives fish absolutely berserk.  Surprisingly, i've caught more without a trailer than with one.  Typical trailers may weigh down its' ability to dash and dart ....... so thin 3", 4" Powerbait worms have done best for me when i choose to enhance.  The key to this particular bucktail's performance is also in the amount of bucktail hair that is tied to the jig.  Sparse is the word of the day with this lure.......as your more typical to generous amounts of hair will weigh down the jig and ruin its' ability to shine.  Not too many guys tie this bucktail correctly anymore.  My experience has found that only Richie Andrus continues to make this bucktail as close as Bill Upperman did in his day.

Just an awesome, awesome jig that really outshines the rest of them, IMO.  Wondering if any of you still fish this lure on a regular basis.

I love the things.

They've been my favorite lure for bass up in Long Island Sound for the last 50 years--when they were still made by Upperman--and like you, I find that they work best up there without the trailer.

In Great South Bay, they're my preferred weakfish lure, although there I use a 6" white plastic worm, which seems to slow the drop, something weakfish seem to like.

Offshore, I've probably caught more dolphin on Upperman-style bucktails than on anything else.

If I'm in a place anywhere on the coast, temperate or tropic, and I'm not sure what to throw, the Upperman will probably be my first choice.  And it will probably work.

17 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Also. Wish hopkins would bring back the hammertail. 

Funny, but I never did anywhere near as well with the Hammertail as I did on the Upperman.  

Have no idea why.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Funny, but I never did anywhere near as well with the Hammertail as I did on the Upperman.  

Have no idea why.

My monkey brain likes things shiny. Plain and simple. 

5 hours ago, CWitek said:

I love the things.

They've been my favorite lure for bass up in Long Island Sound for the last 50 years--when they were still made by Upperman--and like you, I find that they work best up there without the trailer.

In Great South Bay, they're my preferred weakfish lure, although there I use a 6" white plastic worm, which seems to slow the drop, something weakfish seem to like.

Offshore, I've probably caught more dolphin on Upperman-style bucktails than on anything else.

If I'm in a place anywhere on the coast, temperate or tropic, and I'm not sure what to throw, the Upperman will probably be my first choice.  And it will probably work.

Agreed Charles…… although, I’ve experimented this past summer with the thin Gulp Saltwater Sandworm as a trailer and with great success.  The Sandworm is thin enough as to not impede on the lure’s ability to dart…. Which we all know is the key to its superb catch-ability :th:

Edited by yogiiiboy

2 mins ago, SurfCasterNJ said:

Definitely a great style bucktail to fish ! Didn’t know what you meant until I seen the pics lol 

:th: :th:

11 mins ago, HoldMyBass said:

Have 5 of these. New In package. 3/8 and 1/2 ounce. Might have to chuck em for fluke this summer. Never knew the history. Very cool 

Do you have 5 of the “Original Upperman” bucktails?