yogiiiboy

Upperman Bucktail

Rate this topic

246 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LB said:

Thanks that was always my passion.

 

lt's done dressed out l'm just about out of bucktails most have short hairs, l only have two with long hairs this color and the other is red so you know that color the next will have, white with red bucktail, l could put a dash of white on top. it takes me about an hour to make one that's not bad. lt just missed 1-1/4oz.20220626_164741.jpg.4f03243a4116f167b57999ef468e99b1.jpg

 

 

 

 

Very nice, without the step by step detailed photos you would just figure they we're poured... :)

 

Good luck with it. Hope it brings you many fish.

 

Like to see it hanging from a cow

Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, LB said:

Thanks that was always my passion.

 

lt's done dressed out l'm just about out of bucktails most have short hairs, l only have two with long hairs this color and the other is red so you know that color the next will have, white with red bucktail, l could put a dash of white on top. it takes me about an hour to make one that's not bad. lt just missed 1-1/4oz.20220626_164741.jpg.4f03243a4116f167b57999ef468e99b1.jpg

 

 

LB.......that is NICE work.....i'd also add this color combo below of the small 4" Powerbait Power Worm to this particular color combo you have there.  I have taken virtually every species here on the east coast with these small Power Worms attached to the Upperman style bucktail :th:

 

Amazon.com : Berkley MPWA4-BC PowerBait Power Worm, Black/Chartreuse, 4-Inch  : Artificial Fishing Bait : Sports & Outdoors

 

Edited by yogiiiboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK found my box with my homemade molds, Mustard jig hooks, the one homemade mold l was really looking for was not in the box. l would like to make more of this bucktails.

20210303_083222.jpg.d54fb17a032f46257741129c2264fb57.jpg

 

20210303_083348.jpg.3803e605d571ed56f26e4167e4261ac7.jpg

 

This what l have in molds and hooks, all but the Do it and sinker molds l made, around 1995.

DSC05069.JPG.c0da146070851a29d7c0b09feb48e629.JPG

 

Homemade are to the right of the do-it mold, the gray looking jig molds were mad with Bondo they held up pretty good getting the air packets out it hard to do to do it right you would need a vacuum chamber, if l got a bad air bubble l would just fill it in with Bondo.

DSC05071.JPG.2c1b4a126aa0a4b5bbdfe24d9487559d.JPG

 

My molds are unique and my of design l have never seen tin molds made like the way l made mine and l have seen many over my life span.

The molds are made with two plates a front and a back where the keel would be pretty standard,  but in my molds l added a center plate what does that do I'm able to change the profile of the tin by changing the center plate from lets just say a peanut style tin to a slender longer style for when the sans eels are in, it's endless as to what you could when you make tin molds this way.

When you look at the pictures you can see screws on all four corners holding the plat in place, you could even make the plate thicker at add weight. 

Without a machine shop, milling machine, and lath I'm at a standstill, l still have the desire to make more and do mods to reels my wife says I'm crazy l have a hard time staying still and slowing my mind down.

DSC05073.JPG.c4a0b6bcc6f17b06f7fafd8a8542c1e3.JPG

 

l had other center plates and one that looked like a Pet Spoon #15 double-thick who remembers Pet Spoons l still use the double thick with a fixed hook and one with a swinging hook for masty day when you have to cut through a headwind.

 

Bondo might be a better choice for copying a jig head, l know said you could use plaster fully cured it could reject the lead or brake the plaster mold, so if you want to make a mold use Bondo play it safe there is moisture in Bondo.

The Bondo jig molds are coupes of Bingle there not on the chart but they were his heads to be used with a tube.

62ba0a1bb1517_62_bingleBUNKERTAILandBAITTAIL.jpg.5152c223eaa0eefdf776431e96de63a6.jpg

 

 

DART1 l did find my hooks. l was looking for something else, plugs, and l came across this box with hooks and my molds.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LB  thats a nice lookin box!  

What did u use to grommet the eye in the tins?  

 

Last bondo mold I did. I put my vibratory tumbler in a cardboard box and taped the container holding the bondo to the top.   As the bubbles rose to the top I lanced them with a wire.    Used to do a similar thing to knock the bubbles out of cakes & quick breads.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brass shoe l eyelet's l have a hole puncher that made the hole, l have a box of eyelet's like everything else here some where hidden, l made the tool to round it again somewhere.

 

28 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

cakes & quick breads

l haven't made a mold for those items, just kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/23/2022 at 4:29 PM, yogiiiboy said:

How many of you still fish this awesome bucktail?  

 

 

 

 

 

I still fish the Upperman Bucktails and like them a lot. They’re surprisingly effective for such simple looking lures.

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fishing & Hunting said:

I still fish the Upperman Bucktails and like them a lot. They’re surprisingly effective for such a simple looking lures.

I totally agree.............i'm devoting this summer to fishing fluke with them exclusively :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

You know this thread got me to thinking, after I looked at an article and then did some more research!

Pretty sure I have few of these around, but the hair fell off of them!

My uncle used to love to let these lay on the bottom and fall over then just twitch them so they just jump around like a injured fish on the bottom!

They used to be very productive on the edge of the mud flat where it was silty because he said the flounder would see the silt clouds popping up off the bottom and it used to drive them crazy!

And I did not go and look through all the pictures on here and on the Internet, but I distinctly remember him using red and white and the head was half red and half white!

Whether they were Upperman bucktails, I cannot attest too!

But, I’m getting ready to do some digging for a bunch of stuff because I really want to see if and what, I still have stashed away!

 

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
Punc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

You know this thread got me to thinking, after I looked at an article and then did some more research!

Pretty sure I have few of these around, but the hair fell off of them!

My uncle used to love to let these lay on the bottom and fall over then just twitch them so they just jump around like a injured fish on the bottom!

They used to be very productive on the edge of the mud flat where it was silty because he said the flounder would see the silt clouds popping up off the bottom and it used to drive them crazy!

And I did not go and look through all the pictures on here and on the Internet, but I distinctly remember him using red and white and the head was half red and half white!

Whether they were Upperman bucktails, I cannot attest too!

But, I’m getting ready to do some digging for a bunch of stuff because I really want to see if and what, I still have stashed away!

 

EA

EA……sounds like they very well may have been the classic Upperman your uncle was using.  That is also the exact reason why they were made when describing how your wise ol’ uncle fished them.  Please post some pics if, in fact, you find some. :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a couple minutes and went back and FISHED  lol through a couple pages and the pictures are absolutely the one and same bucktail that we used to use all the time!

Now here’s a question? 
Did he ever happen to make them with gold Aberdeen hooks?

I can remember someone giving my uncle those(or I guess possibly something similar)BT’s and telling him that he could only get gold aberdeen hooks at the time when I was a kid!

His favorite go to, was to tie a double spec rig out of flouro with those bucktails and some crab, because he loved to catch tide runners!

 

EA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

EA……sounds like they very well may have been the classic Upperman your uncle was using.  That is also the exact reason why they were made when describing how your wise ol’ uncle fished them.  Please post some pics if, in fact, you find some. :th:

I really didn’t get to read through this thoroughly!

When was the approx. time he stop making them?

 

EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

EA……sounds like they very well may have been the classic Upperman your uncle was using.  That is also the exact reason why they were made when describing how your wise ol’ uncle fished them.  Please post some pics if, in fact, you find some. :th:

Well,  I tried to get in to where I thought some decent stuff would be and unfortunately, once again no good dirty rodents chewed through the roof of the shed!

I had to chip the bottom of the tackle box up because there was an inch or more of solid iron because of the water leaking in!AE00B809-E415-4DF2-BF39-D3DCCF114E29.jpeg.7f99f88ed0fb0b037f13578222241397.jpeg

I’m not gonna get the whole rodent thing started again, but this is just ridiculous!

I was able to salvage a few things that were on top, but the packaging was literally disintegrated!

Some of the bucktails we’re stapled to some type of disintegrated cardboard!

Don’t know if these are UJ’s, but I’ll post a picture!

Oh, by the way I spent 20 minutes scrubbing out that old tackle box lol!

Aint got the heart to throw it away!

 

EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the white ones are Andrus Bucktails (Different hook and tie than Upperman) I can't tell what the smaller ones are but definitely not Upperman. It really doesn't matter as long as you have faith in the jig, it will work!!! HaHa.  Except mine work better! HaHa. As far as I know Upperman only used Mustad cadmium plated forged hooks, no gold? l know what you mean about throwing the box away, they all have history!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that was just one box that was somewhat accessible lol!

These jigs are not the jigs that I am referring to, they just happened to be in the box that I was searching through!

Just figured I would throw a pick up there!

But, I do have a question?

I have some other BT’s that I used to catch crazy amounts of fish with!

These jigs were all around the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range, they were only tied and black and yellow and the head of the BT actually has a wedge for a head!

The point is in the front of the head and then gets wider as it goes towards the back of the head!

It almost looks like a perfect slice of pie!

I know I only have one of these around somewhere, as I would love to be able to duplicate these particular jigs, like everybody else wants to do with the Bill Uppermans!

 

EA

3 hours ago, Darter1 said:

I think the white ones are Andrus Bucktails (Different hook and tie than Upperman) I can't tell what the smaller ones are but definitely not Upperman. It really doesn't matter as long as you have faith in the jig, it will work!!! HaHa.  Except mine work better! HaHa. As far as I know Upperman only used Mustad cadmium plated forged hooks, no gold? l know what you mean about throwing the box away, they all have history!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Yeah that was just one box that was somewhat accessible lol!

These jigs are not the jigs that I am referring to, they just happened to be in the box that I was searching through!

Just figured I would throw a pick up there!

But, I do have a question?

I have some other BT’s that I used to catch crazy amounts of fish with!

These jigs were all around the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range, they were only tied and black and yellow and the head of the BT actually has a wedge for a head!

The point is in the front of the head and then gets wider as it goes towards the back of the head!

It almost looks like a perfect slice of pie!

I know I only have one of these around somewhere, as I would love to be able to duplicate these particular jigs, like everybody else wants to do with the Bill Uppermans!

 

EA

 

That sounds really interesting.  Would love to see a pic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.