yogiiiboy

Upperman Bucktail

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

How many of you still fish this awesome bucktail?  This by far is my favorite style bucktail, especially for fluke in the summertime surf.  Although, I've caught every type of species with this jig along the coast....spring, summer, winter and fall.  Its' magic lies with the unpredictable spin/dart action that comes with the slightest of rod tip jerks.  Drives fish absolutely berserk.  Surprisingly, i've caught more without a trailer than with one.  Typical trailers may weigh down its' ability to dash and dart ....... so thin 3", 4" Powerbait worms have done best for me when i choose to enhance.  The key to this particular bucktail's performance is also in the amount of bucktail hair that is tied to the jig.  Sparse is the word of the day with this lure.......as your more typical to generous amounts of hair will weigh down the jig and ruin its' ability to shine.  Not too many guys tie this bucktail correctly anymore.  My experience has found that only Richie Andrus continues to make this bucktail as close as Bill Upperman did in his day.

Just an awesome, awesome jig that really outshines the rest of them, IMO.  Wondering if any of you still fish this lure on a regular basis.

Edited by yogiiiboy

41 mins ago, 197esmer said:

Not sure I am familiar with it would you be able to to post a picture, thank you.

I'll have to take a few pics of the Andrus version, in the meantime, i've attached below one i've found on the web.

The Upperman Bucktail also goes by several other names...some notably as the Flat Head, Lime Bean, Butterbean, etc.

History of the Bucktail - Main Forum - SurfTalk

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a old mold for smaller bean jigs. 

I casted a few outta tin but having a bear of a time tyin bucktails.  Fingers just won't work right.  

So I was thinking of using a rubber skirt for a LMB jig or one of those squid hoochies.   

But I haven't tried them with a thin Gulp bait like a sandworm yet. So there is still hope!

Also. Wish hopkins would bring back the hammertail. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Only have 2 left.  I’ve retied and painted them many times and the hooks are rusty. Can’t remember the last time I used them because I’m afraid to lose them. 

2 mins ago, JimJ said:

Only have 2 left.  I’ve retied and painted them many times and the hooks are rusty. Can’t remember the last time I used them because I’m afraid to lose them. 

I don’t blame you. There are a ton of bean shaped jigs out there but none are like the original. 

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I bought a old mold for smaller bean jigs. 

I casted a few outta tin but having a bear of a time tyin bucktails.  Fingers just won't work right.  

So I was thinking of using a rubber skirt for a LMB jig or one of those squid hoochies.   

But I haven't tried them with a thin Gulp bait like a sandworm yet. So there is still hope!

Also. Wish hopkins would bring back the hammertail. 

Funny you say that Segs...... i contacted Hopkins this past summer and posed them that very same question to a rep who answered the phone.  The young lady said that she would bring that up during their fall "conference" get together.  I'm assuming she was close to the company's brass and would mention re-introducing the Hammertail as i wasn't the only one inquiring about the old-time lure.

1 hour ago, JimJ said:

Look at the Andrus Flat Heads Jim..........You might be quite surprised how similar they look. :th:

25 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Funny you say that Segs...... i contacted Hopkins this past summer and posed them that very same question to a rep who answered the phone.  The young lady said that she would bring that up during their fall "conference" get together.  I'm assuming she was close to the company's brass and would mention re-introducing the Hammertail as i wasn't the only one inquiring about the old-time lure.

I'd buy em! 

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I don’t blame you. There are a ton of bean shaped jigs out there but none are like the original. 

Agreed red........the only ones that i've experienced that even come close to the built quality and action characteristics are the Andrus Flat Heads.

IMG_2015.jpg.a86d936b61445e5f869d42f77fb38c91.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg.2e43f7c7febd1521482c9b8d77be395c.jpg 

8 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Agreed red........the only ones that i've experienced that even come close to the built quality and action characteristics are the Andrus Flat Heads.

IMG_2015.jpg.a86d936b61445e5f869d42f77fb38c91.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg.2e43f7c7febd1521482c9b8d77be395c.jpg 

They're close but not the same line eye too far back, 

l have been using Bill Uppermans since the 50s all white - redheads - and all yellow. l still might have 6 left some ware. Hopkins and Bill Uppermans were put in survival kits for the 

Air force and the Navy.

8 mins ago, LB said:

They're close but not the same line eye too far back, 

l have been using Bill Uppermans since the 50s all white - redheads - and all yellow. l still might have 6 left some ware. Hopkins and Bill Uppermans were put in survival kits for the 

Air force and the Navy.

Understood.......the Upperman's eye hook is much closer, almost in line with the jig itself ......but again, these are the closest i found that mimics the original :th: