Jacks

Size air tank for blowing up tires

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So most people prefer a pump rather than a moveable tank? I know pumps take a long time to blow up the tires

Edited by Jacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacks said:

Hey all. Anyone have any air tanks they would recommend to fill up your tires after you air down? Thanks

No tanks, Never liked them. Go get a air heavy duty air pump, or better yet a small air commpressor you hook up to your battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, hunter123 said:

No tanks, Never liked them. Go get a air heavy duty air pump, or better yet a small air commpressor you hook up to your battery.

Any recommendations for the ones that hook up to your car battery. I heard they take a long time to pump up the tires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Jacks said:

Any recommendations for the ones that hook up to your car battery. I heard they take a long time to pump up the tires

The cheap air pumps from the big box stores take a long time. Get a real air compressor. I bought one at hardware discount store. The ones that hook up to your battery are better than the ones you plug into a lighter socket. It takes about 3 to 5 min a tire. I have not seen anyone for years using an air tank. There big, you only get so many shots putting air in the tires, Size is a big problem, Also if you forget to fill it with air, your screwed. I paid about  $ 60 bucks at Harbor freight for mine. I havn't had to use it yet, Where I fish they have plenty of air pumps . I do use it once a year  on a wheel barrel tire to make sure it's good to go, and oil the piston. My comressor is small , about 6 to 8 lbs. It fits right behind the seat on my Jeep. Trust me tanks are a pita.

Edited by hunter123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, hunter123 said:

The cheap air pumps from the big box stores take a long time. Get a real air compressor. I bought one at hardware discount store. The ones that hook up to your battery are better than the ones you plug into a lighter socket. It takes about 3 to 5 min a tire. I have not seen anyone for years using an air tank. There big, you only get so many shots putting air in the tires, Size is a big problem, Also if you forget to fill it with air, your screwed. I paid about  $ 60 bucks at Harbor freight for mine. I havn't had to use it yet, Where I fish they have plenty of air pumps . I do use it once a year  on a wheel barrel tire to make sure it's good to go, and oil the piston. My comressor is small , about 6 to 8 lbs. It fits right behind the seat on my Jeep. Trust me tanks are a pita.

Great thanks for the input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Jacks said:

Great thanks for the input

Jacks, are you new to driving beaches. Make sure you have all the equipment the state wants for driving on the beach, Tow strap, shovel, jack, boards, ect, ect. But also it is wise to carry a fire extinuisher in your rig. Also the one of the beat things to have are Tire deflaters, thats were you will pick up speed airing down, airing down is a must. Deflaters make life easy, also a good tire gauge. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Jacks, are you new to driving beaches. Make sure you have all the equipment the state wants for driving on the beach, Tow strap, shovel, jack, boards, ect, ect. But also it is wise to carry a fire extinuisher in your rig. Also the one of the beat things to have are Tire deflaters, thats were you will pick up speed airing down, airing down is a must. Deflaters make life easy, also a good tire gauge. Tight lines.

I am new. I have all the required equipment and a fire extinguisher. Last thing I need is a pump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

not sure what you want to spend but you can get a decent compressor that can do 1-2 tires in 2-3 minutes (depending on how much PSI you're actually adding) for around 150-200 bucks. Go with something that goes right to your battery for sure. 

 

HF $50 compressor CFM is 1.35 you can find them in the  5 CFM range for around the price I listed above.

Edited by natejeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, natejeep said:

not sure what you want to spend but you can get a decent compressor that can do 1-2 tires in 2-3 minutes (depending on how much PSI you're actually adding) for around 150-200 bucks. Go with something that goes right to your battery for sure. 

 

HF $50 compressor CFM is 1.35 you can find them in the  5 CFM range for around the price I listed above.

Great thanks! I'll look into them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a CO2 Tank that I had for those times I was on a beach with no air station provided. I also wanted it if the air compressor was out of service at the park I was at. It worked great and was a reliable backup. With that said there's a couple of things you should know. 

- The tanks are pricey. The tank I used, I purchased from "POWER TANK". I had a 15lb tank and it came with a bracket that mounted on the bumper of my Lance Slide On Camper. I took my tanks to a Welding Supply company to get it refilled. Back then it was $15 - $20 for a refill.

 

- The tanks have a certification date. Back when I bought my tank brand new in 2002 it had to be recertified after 5 years. If i remember correctly the recertification was only good for 2 more years. But check out the current laws before you go this route. Also, make sure the tank has a "MANUFACTURER DATE" or a "LAST CERTIFICATION DATE" on it before buying. 

 

- I used this on a GMC 3500 Sierra Dually. The tires were Series E and when I had the 11 1/2 ft slide on in the bed I had 80lbs of air for the highway in all 6 tires. When I dropped air for the beach I ran 15lbs in the front and 20lbs on the 4 rear Dually tires. The tank would fill up the tires quickly but I needed a lot of air to get them back up to 80lbs. So the full tank was usually good for 2 trips or 12 tires. But refills were no more than $20 back then. No clue what a tank refill is today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leifg said:

I had a CO2 Tank that I had for those times I was on a beach with no air station provided. I also wanted it if the air compressor was out of service at the park I was at. It worked great and was a reliable backup. With that said there's a couple of things you should know. 

- The tanks are pricey. The tank I used, I purchased from "POWER TANK". I had a 15lb tank and it came with a bracket that mounted on the bumper of my Lance Slide On Camper. I took my tanks to a Welding Supply company to get it refilled. Back then it was $15 - $20 for a refill.

 

- The tanks have a certification date. Back when I bought my tank brand new in 2002 it had to be recertified after 5 years. If i remember correctly the recertification was only good for 2 more years. But check out the current laws before you go this route. Also, make sure the tank has a "MANUFACTURER DATE" or a "LAST CERTIFICATION DATE" on it before buying. 

 

- I used this on a GMC 3500 Sierra Dually. The tires were Series E and when I had the 11 1/2 ft slide on in the bed I had 80lbs of air for the highway in all 6 tires. When I dropped air for the beach I ran 15lbs in the front and 20lbs on the 4 rear Dually tires. The tank would fill up the tires quickly but I needed a lot of air to get them back up to 80lbs. So the full tank was usually good for 2 trips or 12 tires. But refills were no more than $20 back then. No clue what a tank refill is today.

Great thanks. Seems like it would be a little pricey now. Looks like most of the air pumps that hook up to the battery are 50$ so I think I'm just going to use one of those

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of the LI beaches have air in season. I have the Viar 85P as a backup, takes my 17in tires from 18psi back to 40psi in 10-12 minutes for all. Cheap, maybe it was $69...gets hot though, don't roll up the hose and cord and try to put it back in the bag right away, you'll burn your hand or the hose!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

Many of the LI beaches have air in season. I have the Viar 85P as a backup, takes my 17in tires from 18psi back to 40psi in 10-12 minutes for all. Cheap, maybe it was $69...gets hot though, don't roll up the hose and cord and try to put it back in the bag right away, you'll burn your hand or the hose!

Great thanks I'm going to look into those. Most of the town beaches I fish are smaller and don't have pumps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.