Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReeferRob

Fin-Nor Ahab good/Bad?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anyone have an opinion from experience using these reels? I have an opportunity to get a size 8 for free and was wondering if it's worth it to keep it or to clean it up and sell it. It's a USA made reel.

18 mins ago, ReeferRob said:

I have an opportunity to get a size 8 for free

Prize is right.

Take it play with it and see for yourself.

As I heard, those are great reels.

If it's free you'll get your money's worth. Performance wise, it's on par with the old daiwa BG. There's no infinite anti reverse, drag maxes out at about 10lbs,  and the rotor oscillation pattern isn't braid friendly. Great reel 25 years ago, but not so much these days.

I agree that it is not braid friendly.  And it really doesn't have great line capacity.  Have a couple windknot blow-ups that you cut out and you find yourself with a half spooled reel.  Probably better for the short casting you do on a boat than on the beach.

Other than that, the thing seems like a tank.  

I was gifted one, the 12 size IIRC, back in the mid-late '90s.  Sold it in a reel purge some years ago.

I will agree with Slacker that these reels are built like a tank.

It’s a Smooth running reel which is fairly easy to service on your own.

The one I have is a backup only but it could easily become a first string player if I needed it to step up.

Solid reel but very heavy for its size, even back in the day.  Compared to today's reels its an anchor.  Also, they were not designed for braid.  I had the best luck fishing thicker braids, such as fireline, or going heavier on the braid to get a thicker line that would be closer to the diameter of the mono the reel was designed for (ie 40 or 50 pound powerpro where I would have normally used 30).

They also don't like getting wet but otherwise they are great reels.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had two #20s and one #12  Ahab reel from the early 80's and they are were good as the day I bought them when I sold them last year and I used them for 30 + years for surf and boat fishing. They had seen hard service and I only had to oil the bail rollers occasionally and re-grease the gears twice with Shimano reel grease.  I bought extra cork drag washers for them, and they take they same nylon roller spacers as the old Daiwa BG series. 

I fished a lot of 8 n bait in the surf for over 30 years and the 20s and they were real work horses. Most of my other surf reels wore out in a few years except for a couple of English Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Body long cast surf reels that held up for about 8 years.

So long as you keep sand out of the Ahab's complicated anti-reverse mechanisms they are bullet proof powerful spinning reels and the gears seem to last forever. 

I am 69 and I blew out my shoulder three years ago so I sold them of $75.00 each with their original blue boxes, paper work, and spare parts last year. I paid $235,00 dollars for each of them in 1983. That was a lot of money to spend for a spinning reel in the early 80's and they were worth it. 

Mine were the old reels with the black body and rotor with the sliver long cast spool.

Ahab came out with some lighter reels years later and I think they had a blue body and I don't know much about them

Edited by Long Wader