Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricL

New JDM 2022 Saltiga 15

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

ooooo.. looks like i gotta get me one of these. along with one of the IC counter models.

this SJ looks like itll come out roughly in June.

even as a prototype they look nice and classy with the blue gold theme matching the spinner.

and they changed over to the hyperdrive design, bearing/frame/unitized bridge supported gears.

contoured frame with finger cutout for palming and gripping the reel while jigging.  :heart:

the US will probably not get this model or will need another year or two before they decide to sell here.

as usual, the design stylings and finishing is top notch. much nicer than any other company.

even their videos are more entertaining than the other companies. lOL

Photos courtesy of LurenewsR site.

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-02-29 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-02-25 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-02-10 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-02-02 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Firefox_Screenshot_2022-01-23T17-00-37.770Z.png

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-08-12 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-07-59 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 12-07-38 【ついにフルリニューアル】ハイパードライブデザイン搭載で生まれ変わるフラッグシップ機「22ソルティガ15」シリーズ.png

Edited by EricL

That's an interesting rod he has paired with that fine looking reel. I have an older Saltiga z20. Saltigas are top notch. I wonder what that reel will cost shipped from Japan.

1 hour ago, gulfcoast said:

That's an interesting rod he has paired with that fine looking reel. I have an older Saltiga z20. Saltigas are top notch. I wonder what that reel will cost shipped from Japan.

Msrps are in the $600s and $800s for 4 models.

It has other features i didnt mention. Larger gear. Anode sac plate for corrosion. Shallow spool and deep spool versions. Fun stuff theyre trying.

I already got someone to get me a preorder ticket for a 15Hsj for June and a 15 shallow spool for August. Lol

800$ for a non levelwind star drag?????

I guess they gotta pay for that Exist anime episode they put out....lol

18 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

800$ for a non levelwind star drag?????

I guess they gotta pay for that Exist anime episode they put out....lol

Its the approximate retail rate is.

Its usually a good bit lower when the presales start and when it hits store shelves.

The 800 is also the SJ model. Carbon handles etc.  The 600 is non SJ version.

Studiooceanmark is releasing a new variable speed levelwind (one sweep lays line sharply angle, opposite sweep lays vertical angled to prevent line dig ins), with a paddle 2pc star drag design. That reel would tickle your fancy.

Edited by EricL

2 hours ago, EricL said:

Its the approximate retail rate is.

Its usually a good bit lower when the presales start and when it hits store shelves.

The 800 is also the SJ model. Carbon handles etc.  The 600 is non SJ version.

Studiooceanmark is releasing a new variable speed levelwind (one sweep lays line sharply angle, opposite sweep lays vertical angled to prevent line dig ins), with a paddle 2pc star drag design. That reel would tickle your fancy.

I will be tearing down the new Studio reel.   Saw it a few weeks ago......I want to see how it compares to the Maxel armory (already tore that one down...pretty cool levelwind leverdrag)

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I will be tearing down the new Studio reel.   Saw it a few weeks ago......I want to see how it compares to the Maxel armory (already tore that one down...pretty cool levelwind leverdrag)

Ya. But unfortunately its very niche finesse type reel unlike their blueheaven line.  Definitely not fit for alot of the US anglers who want power power power rip lips off pulling styles.

I dont think its a leverdrag though. Looks more like a double shaft sleeve drag stack. According to how i see it work.

Its also quite a bit cheaper then the blue heavens. I think 500-600 odd.

But probably not a reel ill get.  I have 3 sizes of blueheavens already and they work great.

5 hours ago, rocketsurgeon said:

Is the Saltiga still made in Korea? 

Reveal hidden contents

Yes. No problems with it made in korea.

Same plant that also churns out the catalina, saltist, ishidai, and lever drags.

7 hours ago, EricL said:

Yes. No problems with it made in korea.

Same plant that also churns out the catalina, saltist, ishidai, and lever drags.

Thanks for the info, our slow pitch season starts in a few months and I might be adding to the arsenal.

So these are selling for $800 but nobody wanted to buy US made star drags? Yes i admit Penn needed to slim up the star and Improve the handle but these are beasts. 

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_000 (2).jpeg

21 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

So these are selling for $800 but nobody wanted to buy US made star drags? Yes i admit Penn needed to slim up the star and Improve the handle but these are beasts. 

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_000 (2).jpeg

bulky. lack of elegance.

alot of areas where they can design to slim the reel down.

not to mention penn's awful usable drag range, which is akin to full on to off.

they do work, i give them that. but if you handle saltigas of the past to now.

they are worlds apart.

but you pay for design and features.

something alot of companies dont that.

like siegler/truth/release trash. or even accurate to a sense.

like the new design frame penns have with the cross bars. its unnecessary. mag 3 mag 4.

they are ridden with the same design flaws.

if they change how they align the spool to the gears.

or throw more money into cutting better gears.

theyd be great reels.

but they dont change it.  so what can you do?

its not even about USA made or korea, japan, thailand anymore.

usa made or even china made.  its how much QC the company throws into it.

you really have to use the reel to understand it.

i can give you one of my saltigas i bashed for more than 15 years and its still smoother than a new penn.

i can also give you a china made OEM reel that is better than a penn. for $100

lol

Edited by EricL

1 hour ago, EricL said:

bulky. lack of elegance.

alot of areas where they can design to slim the reel down.

not to mention penn's awful usable drag range, which is akin to full on to off.

they do work, i give them that. but if you handle saltigas of the past to now.

they are worlds apart.

but you pay for design and features.

something alot of companies dont that.

like siegler/truth/release trash. or even accurate to a sense.

like the new design frame penns have with the cross bars. its unnecessary. mag 3 mag 4.

they are ridden with the same design flaws.

if they change how they align the spool to the gears.

or throw more money into cutting better gears.

theyd be great reels.

but they dont change it.  so what can you do?

its not even about USA made or korea, japan, thailand anymore.

usa made or even china made.  its how much QC the company throws into it.

you really have to use the reel to understand it.

i can give you one of my saltigas i bashed for more than 15 years and its still smoother than a new penn.

i can also give you a china made OEM reel that is better than a penn. for $100

lol

You don't need to give me a Daiwa to try, I own 9 of them, I'm am a big fan of their bait-casters and spinners.  I'm no stranger to pissing away money on crap i don't need. I just revamped most of my gear. But the 2 Penns still make the cut. TRQ12s are tanks, they are plenty smooth and the drags work just fine.  $800 is a hard sell even compared to Daiwas other gear..  So yes I agree Penn culd tweak some stuff, but will you buy it for $800? Apparently not because they stopped making them for a reason. 

IMG_0247 (1).jpg

Edited by nfnDrum

Daiwas largest market for high end stuff isnt the US. If one goes over in asia.  Theres alot more discerning customers on that pond  Its everywhere. Cause of the the fishing here doesnt require stuff they build mostly for the targets there.  Like this saltiga.  How many people actually use it for spj 200ft+. Not too many. 

14 hours ago, EricL said:

Daiwas largest market for high end stuff isnt the US. If one goes over in asia.  Theres alot more discerning customers on that pond  Its everywhere. Cause of the the fishing here doesnt require stuff they build mostly for the targets there.  Like this saltiga.  How many people actually use it for spj 200ft+. Not too many. 

Agreed, with spj gaining popularity out here on the west coast hopefully we will see the non-JDM manufacturers step up their game. BTW 40-50 fathoms is a pretty standard drop North of Point Conception.