kdublittle

Surf Fishing Rods

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am looking for some opinions on a new surf fishing rod. There are so many options along with major price differences. Looking to add another rod to my collection & am seeking input on the St Croix, Penn squadron III, Penn Battalion II, Black Hole, (too many to list) etc.... I am not looking to break the bank, as I said, just looking to add to my collection & open for any suggestions/input you may have. TIA for any info you share.

Edited by kdublittle

Don’t get too caught up in the opinions, of others, which you’ll find all over the internet.

Opinions can be a good starting point and a good tool but they aren’t fail safe .

There are guys here who will insist you need a custom rod costing many hundreds of dollars.

Others will tell you a big box sporting goods chain has everything you need.

If you’ve got some surf fishing experiences then you already know some of the qualities you should be looking for in a new rod.

I think you’ll do best by heading to a good tackle shop  and putting  a bunch of different rods in your own hands.

Wave them around a bit and test cast them if you can.

Talk to the people in the shop and describe the kind of fishing you do or want to do and tell them what your budget is.

They’ll guide you to the section you can afford.

All of the manufacturers you mention have excellent products and they have a range of price points for you to consider.

Penn, in particular, has some really nice stuff for the price and you can often find their stuff on sale/close out.

Have fun with your search and don’t pressure yourself to find that one perfect rod.

I do not believe one rod can do it all.

It’s one of the reasons why, if you fish for a lifetime, you’ll probably spend the rest of your days acquiring more tackle.

Good luck !

You don't mention your end use, or if it's conventional or spinner? Regardless, here's my $0.02:

• Okuma Solaris SSX $110 (spinning) or Longitude $80 (entry-level but decent)
  • Carnage II/III 12ft $220
  • Penn 12ft Battalion (get the 4-10oz version for general fishing, and avoid the 6-12oz rating unless you are making shorter casts to sharks or ulua) $130
  • Cabela's Ocean Master 12ft $180

I don't think an expensive rod is the key to being an effective angler. Core skills, including effective casting technique, reading the water/habitat, correct bait/lure selection and presentation, proper knots and rigging, are more important. Besides these blasted rods break too easily for me to want to invest too much in them. For example, once I hooked a big ray and some "helpful bystander" rushed down an embankment uninvited, tripped and fell on the rod, dunking the reel and almost breaking the tip section. Disgruntled baggage handlers (even when in tubes), car doors, and house gates will help break your rods too. 

Edited by Capefox

Picking a rod is harder then picking the right woman to marry. And there are more choices. Some like em tall, some like big boobs and some like any at all. That being said, don’t listen too much to what other opinions are. Except for technical advise. Line weight, lure weight, stuff like that. Hold them. Flex them. Put YOUR reel on it. If you can’t test cast it, put your reel on it, string it and have someone hold the line while you put a bend in it. Hang a couple of plugs off it. And then when you are mostly happy buy it and don’t second guess yourself. It really is not rocket science. And as long as you are happy that is all that matters. Tight Lines 

Mike

Don't you love it when the new member starts thread like this as a very 1st post and doesn't come back?

:hooked::hooked:

:hooked:

10 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Don't you love it when the new member starts thread like this as a very 1st post and doesn't come back?

:hooked::hooked:

:hooked:

Probably at wally world listening to the advice from the 17 yr old counter help.:laugh:

18 hours ago, valentine said:

Don’t get too caught up in the opinions, of others, which you’ll find all over the internet.

Opinions can be a good starting point and a good tool but they aren’t fail safe .

There are guys here who will insist you need a custom rod costing many hundreds of dollars.

Others will tell you a big box sporting goods chain has everything you need.

If you’ve got some surf fishing experiences then you already know some of the qualities you should be looking for in a new rod.

I think you’ll do best by heading to a good tackle shop  and putting  a bunch of different rods in your own hands.

Wave them around a bit and test cast them if you can.

Talk to the people in the shop and describe the kind of fishing you do or want to do and tell them what your budget is.

They’ll guide you to the section you can afford.

All of the manufacturers you mention have excellent products and they have a range of price points for you to consider.

Penn, in particular, has some really nice stuff for the price and you can often find their stuff on sale/close out.

Have fun with your search and don’t pressure yourself to find that one perfect rod.

I do not believe one rod can do it all.

It’s one of the reasons why, if you fish for a lifetime, you’ll probably spend the rest of your days acquiring more tackle.

Good luck !

Thanks for the input & sorry I could not acknowledge/respond sooner but had work, need to do that to buy fishing equipment lol. I am not looking to break the bank but want something dependable & reliable. I usually am fishing with bait & using a spinning reel if that helps. I have a few jogging rods for stripers so looking more for a bait rod & yes, I also use live bait. Thanks for the input from all of you, it’s much appreciated & I know going forward to not post anything unless I can sit there & answer back right away. Lesson learned 

Bait fishing doesn't require an expensive rod, as top quality action really doesn't matter.  You'll want something durable though.  Also depends on what breaks YOUR bank.

I agree with some of the mildly priced Penns for that application.  Or even Ugly Stiks if you like fatter handles.

Edited by Skunkoff

14 hours ago, srm413 said:

just bought a st. croix seage and have not cast it, but it looks great! but... they are $200 - $300.

Would you by chance also have a Mojo to compare it to?

@kdublittle Check out the "Newbies Look Here! Revised 4-1-2018" thread pinned at the top of the forum. I am also new to this. After much reading, I made the following purchases to stay within my budget:

- 10' Tsunami Airwave Rod, MH 15-30#, 2-4oz w/ Tsunami Shield 6000 reel - 20# Spiderwire

- 10' Tsunami Airwave Rod, XH 20-40#, 3-6oz w/ Tsunami Shield 8000 reel - 30# Spiderwire

Good luck!