Mapluggin

VSX Gen 2

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone seen/heard about the VSX gen 2? Heard no more skirted spool, comes with power knob and Foot is now 1 piece with side plate. Anti reverse moved too. Looks promising. 

Edited by Mapluggin

I am not sure what reel you are referring to.

Some years back, Van Staal produced a VSS series reel where the reel foot was part of the main body. This was before the VSX was released. On that model you could not replace the reel foot with the VSB reel foot that was longer and increased the distance between the rod and rotor. 

VSS & VSX have never had skirted spools. Only the VSB series did, and that was discontinued. I doubt it will return due to the success of the VR series, but I could be wrong. 

My VSX150 doesn't have a skirted spool - I was in a shop last week and saw the VSX reels being sold now have the new drag knob that you had to buy separate last year (I bought one)

12 mins ago, albacized said:

My VSX150 doesn't have a skirted spool - I was in a shop last week and saw the VSX reels being sold now have the new drag knob that you had to buy separate last year (I bought one)

That is because the original drag knob didn’t generate the advertised drag pressure. The VSX I have worked on had enough for stripers though. 

19 mins ago, ged said:

I am not sure what reel you are referring to.

Some years back, Van Staal produced a VSS series reel where the reel foot was part of the main body. This was before the VSX was released. On that model you could not replace the reel foot with the VSB reel foot that was longer and increased the distance between the rod and rotor. 

VSS & VSX have never had skirted spools. Only the VSB series did, and that was discontinued. I doubt it will return due to the success of the VR series, but I could be wrong. 

Yeah sorry I meant the new one will have a skirted spool for the bailess. Like a Z. Release date towards summer/end of year. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

If your talking about these I saw them pop up on some FB pages too

FB_IMG_1638247677747.jpg

A69FEB8D-B47E-46B8-9B60-E9C9960042EE.jpeg

Someone posted a similar picture a few weeks ago. Reel was for sale too. A lefty. 

Edited by ged

Looks like someone is making a rotor for the VSB.

I am not sure that the bailed rotor in the picture is better than the tried and true VSB rotor. After VS modified the original design it performed very well. 

4 mins ago, ged said:

Looks like someone is making a rotor for the VSB.

I am not sure that the bailed rotor in the picture is better than the tried and true VSB rotor. After VS modified the original design it performed very well. 

Oh that's Interesting. I do know Saltwaters Tackle out here in NY makes custom bailess kits for the VSB, but they don't drill out the rotor. I wonder what that's about. 

Yeah you can defiantly see the difference better there doesn't have the VSB rotor arches with the holes etc...Weird. Plus the VRish handle arm

Although subtle, it does appear that the reel foot is machined as part of the main body. If it is based on the VSB body than the anti reverse clutch should be in the pinion assembly and not the side cover. 

These reels look much less polished and more clunky than the current lineup. I just got a brand new VSX, wonder if there is reason to return it in anticipation of the new release. I wonder if there will be significant weight savings. I think I'm past the return period but could be worth a shot...

Even if this is a VS concept I doubt they would replace the flyer design, it would probably be a VSB replacement....also it's Van Staal, even finished products take 3 years to get into public hands. Def don't return your reel lol