Surf fluke rod

Rate this topic

fumifish

6 hours ago, SneakBox said:

Been recently using the Century Weapon Jr 8'  1/4-2oz mod-mod fast action.  Matched up with a Stradic 4000, it's a really light powerful package.  I use it mostly off the banks, not so much in the surf.  For the surf a Lamiglas XRA1083 9' 1 piece 1/2-2 1/4oz or a Century Stealth S1 1145 1-4oz with a VSX150.  It's mod action allows me to fish the light lures or live bait.  It's also a very light package with plenty of power when called on.

You'd have a blast with that rod in the surf also......do not underestimate this rod.  Light stick that can handle nice fish!!

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

What's your opinion about length of butt to mid reel seat on the DNA.....IMO, the rod is way too long in the arse end for comfortable 8'0 jiggin' rod.....took a couple inches off the butt and now it's a perfect feel and doesn't kick me in the forearm and ribs anymore.........otherwise I was movin' it.

It doesn’t bother me much but I know what you mean, if it was a custom build I’d have the reel seat just a little lower. My older st croix triumph has the same placement and it bugs me more than on the DNA for some reason - it doesn’t really make sense to me why one would feel more cumbersome than the other, but I was surprised when I put them side by side and they matched up. 

12 hours ago, SneakBox said:

Been recently using the Century Weapon Jr 8'  1/4-2oz mod-mod fast action.  Matched up with a Stradic 4000, it's a really light powerful package.  I use it mostly off the banks, not so much in the surf.  For the surf a Lamiglas XRA1083 9' 1 piece 1/2-2 1/4oz or a Century Stealth S1 1145 1-4oz with a VSX150.  It's mod action allows me to fish the light lures or live bait.  It's also a very light package with plenty of power when called on.

How well does the Weapon jr handle the low end of its range? Does it really throw 1/4 well? I’ve been juggling between that and the Demon for a while now for light stuff.. I’m leaning way towards the demon because I want it specifically for light duty, I have plenty of rods that cover 1/2oz and up, but the price is a little easier to swallow on the weapon so I’m curious.

The Weapon Jr will cast a 1/4 oz fine but honestly it's just getting going with that weight, prefers 1/2oz and up.  But that's in line with most rods throwing their low end rating.  I have a G Loomis Greenwater 7'6” 1/4-1 1/4oz that's better at throwing the 1/4oz.  That said I really enjoy fishing the Jr, have caught some decent size flounders, stripers and blues with it, and it's made short work of them all.    

Edited by SneakBox