Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fumifish

Surf fluke rod

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Budget? Lure/jig weights intended to be used? Little more information would help everyone chiming in. Personally I like the St Croix avid inshore 7’6MF

Check out the Tsunami Carbon shield II rods. Pretty solid for around 100 bucks. I've used them and been happy and use them with a stradic 3000. I primarily fish them with bucktails. 

Recently I picked up an 7’ 6” ODM DNA backbay edition 3/8 to 1.5oz paired with a VR50.

Now, I haven’t used it yet due to it being winter, and all. However I believe it’ll make a great schoolie striper, and fluking rod. I can’t wait for Spring to arrive to get some usage out of it.

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

Budget? Lure/jig weights intended to be used? Little more information would help everyone chiming in. Personally I like the St Croix avid inshore 7’6MF

Good point!  My bad

Budget 75-200

Jig head and gulp type of fun 

bucktails.  1/2-1oz

Posted (edited) · Report post

For flounder from the surf I use a Star rods Steller light 7'6" 1 piece rod I think it's 1/2 to 2 oz. I use a Penn Spinnfisher V with 20# brais with a 30# topshot of mono or braid. Rosworks and feels great. I bought a DNA 9'  1/5 to 3.5 oz for casting live eels, and eel skins. It is a great rod. I can get the eels out there with out breaking them off.  

Edited by hunter123

2 mins ago, hunter123 said:

For flounder from the surf I use a Star rods Steller light 7'6" 1 piece rod I thisk it's 1/2 to 2 oz. I use a Penn Spinnfisher V with 20# brais with a 30# topshot of mono or braid. Rosworks and feels great. I bought a DNA 9'  1/5 to 3.5 oz for casting live eels, and eel skins. It is a great rod. I can get the eels out there with out breaking them off.  

Winner!! Perfect fluke rod, surf or inshore boat. 

Another vote for ODM DNA from me. The 7’6” or 8’ will treat you well. I have the 8’ and it throws the lower end of its range just as well as the upper end.. It’s just about the perfect action for jigging off the beach too especially for 1oz and under - it’s nice and crisp without being a broom stick if you go down to the bottom of its rating. 

A Star Seagis for $150 is a good bang for your buck too if you want something a little cheaper

Edited by Tyger92

8 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Enough said right here.  I've caught a ton of fluke on this rod........light, powerful and can be tossed all day in the summer surf!!

I use a shimano scimitar steelhead rod. I think it's 8'6. I have a penn 930 levelmatic (conventional) on it. It tosses ½ oz really nice. $50.00. No need to spend more.   

12 hours ago, Tyger92 said:

Another vote for ODM DNA from me. The 7’6” or 8’ will treat you well. I have the 8’ and it throws the lower end of its range just as well as the upper end.. It’s just about the perfect action for jigging off the beach too especially for 1oz and under - it’s nice and crisp without being a broom stick if you go down to the bottom of its rating. 

A Star Seagis for $150 is a good bang for your buck too if you want something a little cheaper

What's your opinion about length of butt to mid reel seat on the DNA.....IMO, the rod is way too long in the arse end for comfortable 8'0 jiggin' rod.....took a couple inches off the butt and now it's a perfect feel and doesn't kick me in the forearm and ribs anymore.........otherwise I was movin' it.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Been recently using the Century Weapon Jr 8'  1/4-2oz mod-mod fast action.  Matched up with a Stradic 4000, it's a really light powerful package.  I use it mostly off the banks, not so much in the surf.  For the surf a Lamiglas XRA1083 9' 1 piece 1/2-2 1/4oz or a Century Stealth S1 1145 1-4oz with a VSX150.  It's mod action allows me to fish the light lures or live bait.  It's also a very light package with plenty of power when called on.