Drew C.

Bear's Den - The Shop

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Since the show was canceled I decided to use my day off and take a trip to the Bear's Den. They're about an hour and 45 minutes away from me. Not too bad of a ride (about the same as the show). Ride was good enough, no issues. The shop, holy ****, it's pretty damn amazing. You could easily get lost in there, you could also spend hours in there as well and still miss stuff. I didn't make and major purchases, just some hooks, bobbin and a dynaking tool carousel. I almost picked up a used reel. If you're relatively close, it's well worth the trip. 

39 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Since the show was canceled I decided to use my day off and take a trip to the Bear's Den. They're about an hour and 45 minutes away from me. Not too bad of a ride (about the same as the show). Ride was good enough, no issues. The shop, holy ****, it's pretty damn amazing. You could easily get lost in there, you could also spend hours in there as well and still miss stuff. I didn't make and major purchases, just some hooks, bobbin and a dynaking tool carousel. I almost picked up a used reel. If you're relatively close, it's well worth the trip. 

Yeah,  I'm only about 5 miles from my house.   Near impossible to go there without finding something "I need".    Love that place.    Always have a good time with Scott as well.    

HT

While it's impossible to not spend something while in there, it's going to have to be seriously curbed for me over the next foreseeable future, given that I made a couple of major 'one/two' punch purchases in the past several months (Nautilus NVG 6/7 and a 7 wt G Loomis NRX+)...but there's always tying material, leaders and maybe the occasional line that'll become 'needs'...

The consignment reel case has been a weak spot for me over the years as well...I've picked some stuff with no signs of having been used on the cheap....not all that long ago (past 2 years or so), I landed an Abel Super Series 9/10N (older version with the removable screen on the drag knob) for less than $400, that was for all I could tell, 'new'

Just now, albacized said:

The consignment reel case has been a weak spot for me over the years as well...I've picked some stuff with no signs of having been used on the cheap....not all that long ago (past 2 years or so), I landed an Abel Super Series 9/10N (older version with the removable screen on the drag knob) for less than $400, that was for all I could tell, 'new'

A 7/8 tibor caught my eye there yesterday. I'm still thinking about it. 

Yup, it does that to you - Also a couple of years ago, someone brought in an Islander FR1 to the shop for consignment...after deliberating how well that would match along side my FR2, and after three trips to the store to ponder, I' made the purchase (I was probably very lucky that one was still available when I picked it up)...also at a very palatable price

I wish I had a good shop near me in Monmouth county NJ.

We used to have one really good one and an ok Orvis store.

If I google “fly shops near me” it sends me to Orvis on 5th Ave in Manhattan.

There is a good one in Parsippanny but that is a one + hour one way trip for me. I do go there for big purchases but for small stuff like hooks and tying stuff it is sadly mostly online for me or if I am traveling I always hit the local shops.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never been there but have bought a bunch online (too much!!) of materials from BD over the years.

Simply, the best. :th:

Edited by ken r

Never been to the shop, but buy quite a lot online. Scott is a great guy, as are all the staff I have dealt with. When I go to the flyfishing show in Edison, the BD is always the first stop. Even if it is just to BS with Scott. As another poster said if I lived close to the shop, I would be broke.

1 hour ago, albacized said:

Yup, it does that to you - Also a couple of years ago, someone brought in an Islander FR1 to the shop for consignment...after deliberating how well that would match along side my FR2, and after three trips to the store to ponder, I' made the purchase (I was probably very lucky that one was still available when I picked it up)...also at a very palatable price

I bought the reel. 

I should have went to work lol. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I bought the reel. 

I should have went to work lol. 

Well, that is a nice reel - I don't have one, but know someone who does and has nothing but high praise for those reels

Edited by albacized