BayouQ

New Guy - Hoping to Contribute

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I've been lurking a bit and finally joined. I grew up on the Gulf Coast (FL, AL, MS, & LA). I have fished salt marshes my whole life + some offshore. I moved to Northern Virginia a couple years ago and tried freshwater, but it's not the same. This year I decided that I want to try surf fishing. I have been reading this great site and watched a lot of YouTube. Surf fishing is wildly different than what I grew up with. In the marsh, we stalk redfish in 10"-16" of water and sight cast 1/4oz jigs and soft plastics using ultra-light gear. I typically use 6' rods with 2000-2500 class spinning reels & 6-8lb mono. We also chase specks in 4'-6' of water over oyster beds w/ small corks and shrimp. 

From what I have gathered thus far, surf casting is much different and much more varied in catch. None of my gear (save some terminal tackle) is appropriate for this sport, so I needed to buy some new stuff (oh, the agony!). I had a somewhat limited budget, but here is what I bought:

- 10' Tsunami Airwave Rod, MH 15-30#, 2-4oz w/ Tsunami Shield 6000 reel - 20# Spiderwire

- 10' Tsunami Airwave Rod, XH 20-40#, 3-6oz w/ Tsunami Shield 8000 reel - 30# Spiderwire

I know that there are some folks who poo-poo braid (especially in NC, apparently). It seems to be related to tangling with other people. Down south, we give people lots of space. In the marsh we generally expect 1/4 mi buffer between fisherman. I understand that that may not be reasonable on the beach, but I am hoping to stay wide and clear of others. The videos of people packed shoulder-to-shoulder in NC made me wince. 

I intend to use the MH rod for artificials: I have also bought 2oz, 2.5 oz, and 3 oz spoons. I bought two 2oz bucktail jigs (white & chartreuse), and two poppers.  

I intend to use the XH rod for bait: I have an assortment of 2oz, 3oz, & 4 oz pyramid sinkers and stuff to make hi-lo rigs and fish-finder rigs. 

I am trying to decide if I should invest in a beach cart. 

I am nearest to beaches in VA & MD. I welcome feedback - Am I heading in the right direction???

In college, I worked as a buyer for a seafood wholesaler. I used to buy, clean, and sell large quantities of fish to restaurants. I hope to share what I know with the good folks here. If you need help cleaning, storing, or preparing your catch - let me know.

Thanks all, 

David - "BayouQ"

Welcome.  As to the beach cart, I cannot imagine fishing the surf without a cart (unless you can drive a 4WD onto the beach you are fishing).  Been to Green Top in Glen Allen yet?  OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome aboard!

That video you saw from NC was likely from the point at Hatteras. It's a unique spot with a lot of people and tourists thrown into the mix and can get chaotic. They say if you cross people's line with braid it can cut peoples mono off.

The rest of the obx coast is more spread out...

Edited by triumph

Welcome and enjoy the ride.  Lots of good folks and good info here.  If you will be targeting bass and bluefish, you should add some swimmers to the bag. Bombers, Sp minnows and redfins are all good in the 6 to 7 inch floating models.  Add a mag darter and some storm paddletails and you have a good starter package.  

Good luck.  Learning new areas and new methods are what keeps things interesting. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/22/2022 at 7:14 AM, Old Hunter said:

Welcome.  As to the beach cart, I cannot imagine fishing the surf without a cart (unless you can drive a 4WD onto the beach you are fishing).  Been to Green Top in Glen Allen yet?  OH

As a head's up top SOL members - West Marine appears to have the best price on the cart I am looking at:

Angler's Fish-n-Mate 310

* ($269)

in comparison to Bass Pro:

* ($369)

and Amazon: *

($475)

It appears to be the same cart to me. Am I wrong????

Edited by TimS
We don’t allow commercial links here - thanks :-)

I'd buy the cart where ever I got the best deal.  I think the key thing is those big orange balloon tires. I have an older cart, got the large, non-balloon tire - it pulls much harder in soft sand than my buddies cart with the balloon tires.  In hard packed sand it makes little difference which tire you have.  Personally, I like a smaller cart to fit into the hatchback of my Ford Edge sedan and I use it on fishing piers too, smaller works better there too. OH