JakerSurf

If not Van Staal, what…

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, rb said:

thanks for posting this I am looking for a new reel for my carbon surf rod .lots of good info . food for thought., 

What's the budget and size rod you're working with?

2 hours ago, marven said:

What's the budget and size rod you're working with?

I am hoping to get something under 350.00.I am trying to find a tsunami saltx 4000 locally so i can put it on the rod and feel the balance and weight .Rod is a lamiglass 9 foot 1/2 to 3ounce moderate fast action medium. there are a few other reels I am going to look at

Posted (edited) · Report post

What about those of us who have the budget to buy anything we want but also have more sense than money. I could buy a truckload of VS reels if I wanted but I choose to use Penn Slammers. It’s a money vs. diminishing return thing and for my needs a VS brings nothing more to the table for a lot more money.  If your needs absolutely require a VS reel than there is no substitute. I’m just not sure such a need reasonably exists. Just my humble opinion. 

Edited by poopdeck

On 2/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, Bigwally said:

Are the SaltX completely sealed. Anybody have any issues with them?

They’re supposed to be but I wouldn’t crank under water. I have both sizes and I can tell you with mine they were able to take splash and quick rinse dunks in surf to wash sand off with no intrusion. I like them very much, they look nice, have a ton of drag, stainless steel gear train, and can be made bailess with kit that comes with the reel.  You definitely can’t go wrong for the price. Keep in mind that anything that is mass produced is bound to have duds. I myself have been fortunate enough to get solid ones. 

On 2/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, rb said:

I am hoping to get something under 350.00.I am trying to find a tsunami saltx 4000 locally so i can put it on the rod and feel the balance and weight .Rod is a lamiglass 9 foot 1/2 to 3ounce moderate fast action medium. there are a few other reels I am going to look at

The 4K salt X is $379.99 brand new before tax. Only slightly over budget. I have a black 4K and love it. I’ve put a bunch of fish on mine and it hasn’t skipped a beat. 

8 hours ago, Jcab83 said:

They’re supposed to be but I wouldn’t crank under water. I have both sizes and I can tell you with mine they were able to take splash and quick rinse dunks in surf to wash sand off with no intrusion. I like them very much, they look nice, have a ton of drag, stainless steel gear train, and can be made bailess with kit that comes with the reel.  You definitely can’t go wrong for the price. Keep in mind that anything that is mass produced is bound to have duds. I myself have been fortunate enough to get solid ones. 

Jcab83

Really appreciate the info. I am really getting started in striper fishing and looking for a solid reel to start. Van Staal are too expensive, that is why I was looking into the SaltX. Tight lines. 

The new Penn Slammers look very very nice. 30 lbs of drag in their 3500 reel is extremely impressive, only $280. Their 5500 has 40 lbs of drag for $300! That's amazing

lol get this! The new Penn Slammer 10500 retails for $380 and has 60lbs of drag and has an IPX6 sealed body/spool design, 43 in retrieve and has 845yd 50lb braid capacity, THAT'S CRAZY!  Shimano Stella 10000 retailed for $1200 and is beat by the new Slammer in just about every category. 

The new Penn Slammers look incredible.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, rb said:

Take a look at the stats on the new Penn Slammer, really impressive for the price. https://www.tackledirect.com/penn-slammer-iv-spinning-reels.html

Edited by marven
included a link to tackle direct

On 2/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, poopdeck said:

What about those of us who have the budget to buy anything we want but also have more sense than money. I could buy a truckload of VS reels if I wanted but I choose to use Penn Slammers. It’s a money vs. diminishing return thing and for my needs a VS brings nothing more to the table for a lot more money.  If your needs absolutely require a VS reel than there is no substitute. I’m just not sure such a need reasonably exists. Just my humble opinion. 

I agree with you about the Staals having a very niche-specific purpose, one that most do not actually need. But, I believe the Van Staals keep their value more than any other reel on the market. As of lately, some low number models are even going for more than MSRP