JakerSurf

If not Van Staal, what…

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

A used Van Staal VR is around $400. Great reel for the price. I just sold my lefty VR151 only because I found an older lefty VS150L. 

Shimano Saragosa and Quantum Cabo’s are other recommendations. I’ve had a few Cabo’s and really good drag and price point. I would use them on boat or Kayak In case they go overboard it’s not a Lefty Van Staal which are hard to replace.

I use all shimano reels for light duty and freshwater. I have an old trusty Sustain 2500FD that I travel with 

If not VS, and you want a dependable reel with water resistance you’ve got two options.  Either Shimano’s Saragosa, or Penn’s Slammer.

I would try to find a used VanStaal VR or SaltX. It would have been helpful if you had said how much you want to spend and how you fish. If you are going to be getting it wet, dunking it, or dropping it in the sand when you grab a fish those two reels would be ideal. If you are going to be a little more careful, then the stradics, goosas, and slammers are all excellent choices. Regardless of which you end up with, a minute or two spent giving it a good rinse after each use will go a long way. I give mine a good gentle sponge bath with Dawn detergent after every use. If you could be a little more specific about price and usage you will get some better info. Hope this helps. Tight Lines 

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

The following should be discussed more, IMHO:

The thing about VSX, VS, ZeeBaaS, and VR is that they use automotive-grade seals AND in essentially every entry point.  Automotive-grade seals typically are metal that is then encapsulated.  These seals are more expensive and engineered for rigorous conditions.

Take the Salt X, for instance.  It is fully machined, including gearing, and has seals.  However, it does not have automotive grade seals. This doesn’t make it a bad reel by any stretch, but if you read the reviews on SOL about them, they are varied.  In short, some folks mention reeling them underwater or at least getting them fairly soaked with salt water.  Even though it is considered “sealed”, it doesn’t mean it can take the amount of saltwater immersion as reels with automotive-grade sealing.  Others have little to minimal issues most likely due to subjecting them to less salt water than those with problems.

So if you end up with a reel such as Penn Spinfisher VI, Shimano Spheros SW, Tsunami Salt X, Daiwa BG MQ, etc., you’ll need to try to subject your reel to less saltwater.  For example, wade a little less deep than you otherwise would have with a VS grade reel.  When a wave comes, momentarily raise your reel above it.  Also, as mentioned before, maintenance of your gear is more important; meaning rinse down, re-greasing internals, and occasionally replacing bearings. 

Good luck and have fun! 

Edited by GSB706z
Grammar

11 hours ago, LB said:

That is the price of a VS that's not what he wants to spend SaltX 4000 or a 6000 around 350.00 l know guys that have them, they're well built.

Penn just can out with a new reel that is selling for about 350.00 also stainless steel gears. l don't know much about these reels.

A few years ago the used market was <$300 on used torques. I bought and sold a few for in that range in SOL. I wish they were still reselling that low. 

The new Penn Reel Slammer lV DX. l'm not a fan of Penn but this could work for him it has a water proof rating.

Penn Slammerlv DX.PNG 1.PNG

Penn Slammerlv DX.PNG

1 hour ago, MattieG said:

If not VS, and you want a dependable reel with water resistance you’ve got two options.  Either Shimano’s Saragosa, or Penn’s Slammer.

You left out the SaltX let's be fair.

For $140, it is damn hard to beat the new Spheros SW 6000. Sure the Gosa has more refinement but dollar for dollar, the Spheros SW is a true heavyweight. I'm a big fan of the Daiwa BG's too and Spheros SW's feel like a BG with sealing, whats not to like? :shrug:

giphy.gif

Thank you all for great feedback. Some of these reels mentioned are at the same price point but deals can be found, whereas VS rarely come around. I’m looking to move up to a bit more heavier gear for primarily NJ surf fishing with occasional trips to NY and north. The 9’ w/4000 is a great spring jetty and beach combo, but for late fall I need to beef it up for larger plugs.

I read everything I can and watch what other fisherman are doing but nothing compares to hearing from all of you.

Thanks.

53 mins ago, LB said:

You left out the SaltX let's be fair.

I could have also mentioned Visser. The key to my comment was “dependable.” Now I don’t own Tsunami’s SaltX, I have handled them, but like Visser’s, I can’t say I’ve read too many good things regarding them. 

JakerSurf:  

If I were you and didn’t have the time to save for a new VR or a used VS/VSX/ZeeBaaS, I would consider the Salt X 6000 and minimize the amount of heavy direct saltwater exposure.

I bought one out of curiosity and for a backup.  I’ve used it a few times.  The drag is good, it cranks strong and smooth, and line lay was good after I removed one spool shim.  Also, the official reel repair shop in Florida will sell you the parts you need IF you are comfortable working on it yourself.  Otherwise, you can mail it to them.  

I have no direct experience with Visser, but I own or have owned VS/VSX, VR, ZeeBaas, Torque, other Penns, Shimanos, and Daiwas. 

Again, the vast majority of problems people have with the Salt X are those trying to fish it as if it had automotive-grade seals. It does not.  Some guys are trying to fish this as a direct replacement for VS/VSX/ZeeBaas.   It is not one of those, but it can serve you well provided you are smart about knowing its limitations as I mentioned in my previous post.  

Edited by GSB706z
Grammar

Just bought a brand new x series yesterday.  I get home and turn the handle and the reel makes a clicking feeling and noise every turn lol.  Something is broken or loose.  850$ for a reel that clicks.  I’ve owned 10 van staals. Every external counterweight generation and never had one feel like that.   About to bring back to shop today to hopefully swap for another one that works properly lol. Find a older beat up generation van staal if you ever decide to spenD the $.  All my older ones are amazing and a few of them I found online for under 500$. 

Edited by Aaron Barmmer

One thing I often don't see mentioned is weight, a Stradic 5k weighs a little over 9 ounces, an equivalent Penn weighs at least twice as much, I want the lightest reel I can get within reason.