JakerSurf

If not Van Staal, what…

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

If you don’t have the budget for a Van Staal what would be your next pick. Comparison points besides budget would be a quality materials, dependable drag and mechanics, performance and rugged durability for surf fishing. Size larger than 4000 but not a boat reel. Plenty of articles out there but would love to hear from experience.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Penn torque. I have 2 and am pleased with both.

That is the price of a VS that's not what he wants to spend SaltX 4000 or a 6000 around 350.00 l know guys that have them, they're well built.

Penn just can out with a new reel that is selling for about 350.00 also stainless steel gears. l don't know much about these reels.

Edited by LB

16 mins ago, LB said:

That is the price of a VS that's not what he wants to spend SaltX 4000 or a 6000 around 350.00 l know guys that have them, they're well built.

Penn just can out with a new reel that is selling for about 350.00 also stainless steel gears. l don't know much about these reels.

Guess I thought a vs was closer to $1k

I have 4 van staal vrs and love them all.I also have a 4000 and a 6000 Saltx. I love the 4000, it’s my priimary reel on a 1/2-2 oz 8’8” rod. It’s my day time set up. I highly recommend it. The 6000 I haven’t fished. I bought it to use on my 10.5 TFO, 2-8 oz in the Canal and haven’t been there. It’s solid feeling but heavy when compared to the VRs but I haven’t used it yet, so I have no opinion on it. I have 2 vr150s and they are my primary reels for 9’ to 10.5” rods. They are great if you aren’t going swimming. Light and well built. I also have a vr 200 which also pairs well with a 10.5” rod. VR 150s come up in the classified, often around $425-450. 

22 mins ago, Rizz1877 said:

I use to use a penn slammer 3 as a back up. It's a solid reel for the surf, at a decent price point. 

Ditto!

$180 at Cabela's... water resistant (not proof), a child can break it down, clean and re-grease, parts are dirt cheap and easily sourced and I have landed many a 25 - 35 lb bass in the surf and off the jetty with it.  ( 4500 or 5500 series).

Same can be said for the Spinfisher VI

I will have both reels for a decade easily and I sheet all over them.

If you're asking about a next best choice for someone who'd like a VS but can't afford one right now, I'd say a Shimano Saragosa. They're not as indestructible as a VS, but they take a lot of abuse and last a long time. The 'Gosa 6K I bought when the prior generation was new (2012, 2103???) is still working just fine. I just bought the new version of the same reel (and same size), but haven't used it yet. 

I also have a VSX150, but don't beat on it like it can supposedly withstand - I treat the 'gosa much more harshly...but I like having the VSX nonetheless

Edited by albacized

Slammer 3 and now the slammer 4. Sold my 2 VS and bought 4 slammers. Never looked back. Planning on buying 4 more slammer 4s over the next year.

On the charter boat I had the lower van stalls and lived them, good price, 3 for price of 2, when they discontinued them. Now the replacement is $100 more per reel. 

I said BS to the “name” etc, and am transitioning to Penn slammers and SS again. Charter customers don’t need van stahl.

Edited by fishonnelsons