Capefox

Avet G2 LX 4.6 MC First Impressions

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK. My employer kindly gave me a bonus over the holidays and I've been wanting to get my hands on the Avet Gen 2 LX 4.6 MC for a while.

Here are my impressions so far -- 

Intended Uses

• Surfcasting 8+bait on the East Coast for bulls, blacktips, lemons, spinners, sandbars, sand tigers, etc. around 6 to 7'. max.
  • Vertical jigging and live-bait for tuna and big yellowtail on charters off San Diego and Baja.
  • Reef fishing for amberjacks, gag groupers, yellowtail, white sea bass, lings, snappers, etc. with yo-yos and dropper rigs.

Castability: Amazon reviews that claim reels can "cast a country mile" really irritate me because that's a worthless hyperbole. No-one can cast 1760 yards. For a 40/50# size reel, the LX G2 MC casts well but it is predictably outranged by smaller reels with lighter spools. I was amazed by how well the MC controlled my casts. I'm not a good caster, but during a 30 min session I was able to hurl an 8oz bank sinker 80-85 yards on average on the field*. This is sufficient distance for the shark fishing I do from the beach, rocks, or piers in Florida. My similarly sized, star-drag Daiwa Seagate 50H, performed marginally better at 85-90 yards on the same day. This made sense as stars are reported to have an edge over lever drags in casting distance. Smaller reels did better as expected: 110-120 yards with the G2 MXL MC, 110-120 yards with the Akios 757, and 120-130 yards with Squall 15 that has ceramic ABEC-7 bearings. (*Note: Used on a Penn Battalion 12' rod rated for 6-12oz. rod, 24ft 80# mono shock leader, windless conditions.)

Capacity: The LX's spool took 500 yards of 70# Hercules 8-strand braid (0.44mm). I expect you could get 550 yards of 65# J-Braid on there. 

Power: The LX's 4.6 gearing felt very solid and in-charge during retrieval of the 8oz. sinker and the 36" per crank rate seemed sufficient for jigging. The LX 4.6's power will also be a good match for shark fishing in the surf. 

Build quality: Avets are beautiful, high-quality reels. I had complete brand loyalty for Penn conventionals until about late 2019, but when they started having supply issues I opened my eyes to other brands. Now that I've discovered Avets, Penn conventionals look like a lower quality product-line to me. My Avet LX and MXL are hands-down better quality than my Fathoms 25, 30, and 40, and a little nicer than my Daiwa Saltist 50H, which is a very handsome reel. My favorite tackle shop in Huntington Beach mailed my Avets to me within days when Penn reels all but vanished from inventories.  

Summary: I really like the Avet G2 LX 4.6 MC for the roles I specified, especially the latter two. This spring, old friends and I will be fishing for sharks from the beach and doing an offshore charter or two. I plan to use the LX on the 12' Battalion extra-heavy rod in the surf, and on an Okuma  6' heavy jigging stick on the boat. I'll let you know how it goes.  

Edited by Capefox

id use a pure boat reel instead for capacity and more power.

then fly a drone to drop a bait to go for big sharks. 

cause im lazy like that.  :laugh:   no need to even try casting out a 1-5lb payload

41 mins ago, EricL said:

id use a pure boat reel instead for capacity and more power.

then fly a drone to drop a bait to go for big sharks. 

cause im lazy like that.  :laugh:   no need to even try casting out a 1-5lb payload

For yakking or droning bait out, I probably would have looked at something heavier such as the Avet HX or even EX. 

What kind of drone do you like? 

Edited by Capefox

7 mins ago, Capefox said:

What kind of drone do you like? 

Ive been considering a swellpro for a long while now. But havent made the choice yet.  Any drone can get pricey especially waterproof or outfitted with hd cameras to see where to drop.

I love my 6/4 MXJ for yo-yo jigging for yellowtail.  High gear until I get bit, then straight to low gear to fight. 

If your reel starts getting noisy on the retrieve, it is the pinion bearing.  Buy a new bearing, pack with grease and install.  I've had to do this twice on my reel - those Cedros Island yellowtail pull hard!

Edited by Mike Mendez