NEW 2022 Shimano Stella

Rate this topic

Inshore

36 mins ago, valentine said:

I can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on a reel I can’t service myself.

You don’t need to. It has platinum service so for 30ish bucks, they service it and send it back within a week or so. 

Doesn’t seem like there are any major changes though + a price increase so I’ll probably stick with my FJ. 

34 mins ago, saltygator said:

You don’t need to. It has platinum service so for 30ish bucks, they service it and send it back within a week or so. 

Doesn’t seem like there are any major changes though + a price increase so I’ll probably stick with my FJ. 

Yeah, I’m aware that Shimano will give their “high end reels” that special level of service and care.

It’s still not worth it to me.

I enjoy fixing my own stuff but these “multi bearing wonder reels” are just too much for me to deal with.

They’re Far too complicated for me to be comfortable servicing them myself.

And if I’m spending the money they want for one of those things I shouldn’t have to be without it for a week or more if it does need service.

Mercedes gives you a loaner car so Shimano should send you a loaner reel.

The last Shimano I purchased was a Stradic and that wasn’t easy for me to service or fix.

Plus the replacement parts were expensive.

Now, I will admit that I used that little reel a lot and caught many good fish with it.

But I also take excellent care of my reels and they get washed and maintained every trip.

Still, the bearings in the line roller failed on me a bunch of times.

Then, the last time something on that reel went, the parts couldn’t be found.

Shimano had changed the design so the parts for my “old design” reel were not readily available.

No thanks, I gave that reel away.

I’ll keep singing the praises of my old Penn greenies and old Mitchell’s.

I can’t see any modern reels listing as well or as long as these already have.

I replaced the roller bearings on my 2 Stradic FI’s with sealed Boca bearings a long time ago and I’ve had zero issue. The handle knobs on the other hand continued to melt off so I removed all of the sticky rubber, the Ci4’s and FL I have don’t have this issue. 

I have a first generation 4000F Stella probably  25 yrs old.  The anti reverse finally let go last year and was able to get it fixed from a specialty repair  shop in FL Should go another 25 yrs.  These are just great pieces of equipment, but now a little crazy expensive.

38 mins ago, buddha162 said:

And its direct competitor in the freshwater market - 

the new exist is a beauty.

Edited by EricL

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')