snapper1

Anyone using ''Body Fur '' ?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all

As title says, anyone using body fur material for tying ? Fibers are about 5\8 in....

Cheers

Body fur.jpg

Edited by snapper1

Yes.Baitfish patterns for albies and bonito mostly so far in the salt.In the freshwater for smallies and largemouth.The pickeral do some damage in between the bass.

I just did a search to find out what CCT Body Fur was. It's now advertised as the best thing to tie Game Changers as well as great for bass and pike flies. And it has nothing to do with natural fur nor how you tie a body with fur dubbing. It's made of strung synthetic fibers that you tie a lenght of to the hook, then wrap and finally trim to shape to make a head or body.

13 hours ago, theshadow said:

Yes.Baitfish patterns for albies and bonito mostly so far in the salt.In the freshwater for smallies and largemouth.The pickeral do some damage in between the bass.

PM sent.

2 hours ago, Suave said:

I just did a search to find out what CCT Body Fur was. It's now advertised as the best thing to tie Game Changers as well as great for bass and pike flies. And it has nothing to do with natural fur nor how you tie a body with fur dubbing. It's made of strung synthetic fibers that you tie a lenght of to the hook, then wrap and finally trim to shape to make a head or body.

It is basically constructed like a brush but the core is not wire.

42 mins ago, Kml said:

It is basically constructed like a brush but the core is not wire.

But from the picture I saw, the fibers are on one side only. 

3 mins ago, Suave said:

You made me go look and you are correct.

I have used it only on smaller baitfish patterns but I can see how it could be good in something like a game change to fill in spots and build taper.

my experience has been just to wrap a head and trim it to shape.

like this.

94F334FE-15B5-4787-BFED-C40D42DB20F2.jpeg

9 mins ago, Suave said:

Yes , you're right.

And the length is only 5\8 of an inch, which I have no use for.

51 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Yes , you're right.

And the length is only 5\8 of an inch, which I have no use for.

I hadn't checked the lenght but saw that CCT also has magnum body fur that is maybe longer.

5 hours ago, Suave said:

I didn't realize that . I bought some stuff years ago that was like chenille supposedly better than wool , For like Bob Pop's silicone covered wool headed flies . 

On its website CCT writes that its standard Body Fur is 3/4" long but for the Magnum just says that it's a "longer version" of the standard (???).

2 hours ago, Suave said:

On its website CCT writes that its standard Body Fur is 3/4" long but for the Magnum just says that it's a "longer version" of the standard (???).

The CCT Body Fur is somewhat similar to the Baitfish Emulator.   You can get these in different lengths, much longer.

The CCT Body Fur:

CCT_Body_Fur.jpg.531e56e7a9c054e261d16aa9c075617f.jpg

The Baitfish Emulator material. (Hareline material)

At least it works in a similar construction it's used for.

This one is 2-12" long.

hareline.jpg.39a5d815f1f0594036853119a0487429.jpg

HT

Edited by HillTop

Actually other than using the above material because it's easier from the fly dealer shop either using Body Fur or Hairline Baitfish Emulator why not just a dubbing spin if only doing it on the very head of the fly or use a brush style to turn up if you want to do the entire fly.   By building your own design it gives you much more options to make these just the way you want to.

I'm still playing around with the synthetic ideas and found some neat ways of using this wig material that I've never seen anyone try before.   Will show a few once I get it just the way I want it.    As an example I purchased some straight wig material and its very easy to make it as straight or very curly or somewhere else inbetween.   Curled this section as part of my straight material as noted.    With this extra curly wig synthetic material I've found that you can use Gunnar Brammer's way to produce dense fly heads and then snip them with scissors to shape them as you please. 

HT

wig_straight_curled.jpg.80b18f4547cb94c2520e0bdab43b9d77.jpg

wig_straight_curled3.jpg.9390f372a4fe9c7d59965d99eb722b63.jpg

Edited by HillTop

If you hit one of the craft stores or a sewing type stores you'll find lots of this type material.Some have wire inside.But it rusts [just a thought].