Sudsy

Looking for RV advice from people who have done it

32 posts in this topic

Looking for something to play with on Island Beach and Montauk but also want to use it to heavily travel the country

What size to get is the difficult question that we're wrestling with. 

 

Whatever we get is going to get the 4x4 conversion by U-Joint or Quigley (so no Mercedes Sprinter chassis)

Leaning towards U-Joint

 

We want to be mobile, not stuck in a chitty campground somewhere because the unit is too big to get around in, and we don't want to tow a car. We're trying to split the difference between "travel big, live small" and "travel small, live big"

 

Bivouacking out west, overnighting on the Outerbanks, being able to just drive and park in town !

 

Looking at class C's in the 25' to 27' range with slide outs but we're worried they're too big to get around in town with. 

Can you fit one in a parking space on a side street in town ?

Just looked at a 27' SunSeeker 2500TS, but it seems wide for street parking even with the slides closed

 

Would really like a larger B+ size but they all seem to be on the Mercedes frame

Is there a B+ that can be converted to actual 4x4 ? (not that all 65%/35% wheel drive crap they are trying to pass off as 4x4)

 

Slide in units are out, I like them (especially the Eagle 1200) but she doesn't, and we all know how that goes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly personal experience but my Mom and Dad had campers, motor homes and 5th wheels for the last 30+ years. There is no perfect set-up, they towed a Honda CRV with the 34' motor home, gave them flexibility if they were staying long term. They didn't drag it to long weekends or shorter trips, mostly west coast or Florida winters. 5th wheel seemed to be a good idea, but the truck itself was a gas slob on its own, maybe 8 or 9 MPG on its own, 6 or 7 while towing. He preferred the motor home to the 5th wheel.

 

Personally, 27' seems manageable enough until you get in town or parking lots, then its a monster like the bigger ones. I think you might want to reconsider pulling a car or small SUV, driving a motor home around as the convenience factor is more than you may think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had pretty much every thing.. Slide-ins on a 4X4, van conversions, 5th wheel and now a 32" class A.. No class Cs though... You buying new, or used?... If new, go out and sit in them, check the floor plan you like, make sure you can live with the down sized everything... Sit on the pot, stand in the shower, and swing about, like you are washing your hair... Can your wife live with the cabinet space, and kitchen layout... I would recommend a walk around bed( No one likes to crawl over their spouse to go pee, or try and make the bed)... Can you get at everything with the pop-outs in (very useful)... These thing are all made like crap... Even the most expensive ones... Not like home or businesses construction.. Any questions, ask away... Check out the RV Forum...

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Midnightpass said:

If new, go out and sit in them, check the floor plan you like, make sure you can live with the down sized everything... Sit on the pot, stand in the shower,

Unfortunately in this covid environment there are -0- units to see. They are sold before they even hit the lots.

We have to go by photos, vids, and floor layouts.

 

Leaning towards the Coachmen Freelander 26DS. The layout is very different then the majority. The way the kitchen is shaped and placed really opens it up

 

If we go that way we have to use U-Joint Offroad for the 4x4 conversion since it's too big for Quigley to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Nice looking unit and about as perfect a size as you could choose for both comfort and maneuvering. Is 4wd necessary for beach driving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the layout... My wife wouldn't go for the bar sink for a kitchen sink, and she can never get enough cabinets... Do you have access to the bathroom, with the rear pop-out in?... How about the fridge and cabinet access? If there is anyway you can physically check one out before buying, I would.. Really a nice layout for a 26'er...

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I choose a 36 ft 5th wheel. Unhook, set up camp.. go wherever you want with your truck.. Mostly outer beach camping, self contained or not. But also all over the continent. Need to get groceries? Drive to store. Simple. Breaking camp is a pain every time you need to leave, like going down to the point to catch a tide twice a day. And the wife may want to watch some tv or read. Never got stuck, the Cummins could have pulled anything (and did) on the beach. Get the right truck, choose your camper, and done. Next one will be a true “four season” unit for BC and Alaska. I probably will get a new truck for peace of mind on long trips.

Still drive the original truck 17 years and 200k + miles later. My firewood beast.

 

Only would consider a class A with a “toad” upon final retirement journey, if i choose a powered camper.. With a flats boat to tow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moocks said:

Have you looked at Phoenix Cruiser USA   4wd

They bring it to Quigley and charge $33k for that

Or you can bring your own and Quigley charges $17K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Do you have access to the bathroom, with the rear pop-out in?... How about the fridge and cabinet access?

Yes and yes

and it's just shy of 28'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, phishallways said:

I choose a 36 ft 5th wheel. Unhook, set up camp.. go wherever you want with your truck.. Mostly outer beach camping, self contained or not. But also all over the continent. Need to get groceries? Drive to store. Simple. Breaking camp is a pain every time you need to leave, like going down to the point to catch a tide twice a day. And the wife may want to watch some tv or read. Never got stuck, the Cummins could have pulled anything (and did) on the beach.

There is that and we did consider it, but doing the Island Beach thing a self contained is the best way to go and a class C isn't too big

We may move up in size for the retirement trip, we'll see.

 

 

Wait... you pulled a 5th wheel on the beach ?? :eek:

Edited by Sudsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Unfortunately in this covid environment there are -0- units to see. They are sold before they even hit the lots.

We have to go by photos, vids, and floor layouts.

 

Maybe you could travel to the factory to see one?... If you have no experience with RVs, I would suggest you at least go look at any of about that size, and see what you do, and don't like about them... The floor plan you like, is similar to what I have, and I like it... The driver-side kitchen opens up the views to your camping site in most campgrounds...

Butch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Wait... you pulled a 5th wheel on the beach ?? :eek:

Constantly. Everything you do with a C other than lets say go to the point of shag. Never a hiccup. Just air down everything and its simple. All self contained. Lots of people do it. Frankly i like the 1ton truck to have a motor rather than a coach. Get a diesel and forget it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Maybe you could travel to the factory to see one?... If you have no experience with RVs, I would suggest you at least go look at any of about that size, and see what you do, and don't like about them... The floor plan you like, is similar to what I have, and I like it... The driver-side kitchen opens up the views to your camping site in most campgrounds...

Butch 

Grew up with them

My folks had a series of class A's my entire life until Sandy finally got their last one

And I hate everything about 90% of public campgrounds and would prefer to spend as little time as possible actually in one.

Edited by Sudsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.