albacized

Starlink satellite train visible fri and sat nights

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

A new SpaceX rocket was launched yesterday with 47 satellites - this will give us the opportunity to see this train on Fri at 5:47 PM and Sat at 5:38 PM (per Find Starlink/SpaceX Starlink Satellites tracker site)...I first saw last late spring/early summer and had no idea what I was looking at (that particular launch included a train of 64 satellites)...I truly thought I was looking at something alien...lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, DAQ said:

Cool, hopefully I remember to look up at the right time. What direction?

Here are those details, per the site mentioned above:

5:47 pm, 21 Jan 2022

Starlink-G4-6 (new), BRIGHT (1.9) for 3 mins
Look from NORTHWEST to NORTHEAST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 34°, end: 33°

5:38 pm, 22 Jan 2022

Starlink-G4-6 (new), BRIGHT (1.2) for 3 mins
Look from NORTHWEST to EAST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 57°, end: 18°

5:26 pm, 23 Jan 2022

Starlink-G4-6 (new), BRIGHT (2.6) for 3 mins
Look from NORTHWEST to SOUTHEAST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 85°, end: 11°

Edited by albacized

Damn, that’s pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up. I saw the shuttle chasing down the space station a couple years ago and it was awesome!

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

That's cool. I might have to try and get a video with my scope.

Is that video in real time speed?

I"m pretty sure it is...it's pretty representative of what I saw

On 1/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, albacized said:

A new SpaceX rocket was launched yesterday with 47 satellites - this will give us the opportunity to see this train on Fri at 5:47 PM and Sat at 5:38 PM (per Find Starlink/SpaceX Starlink Satellites tracker site)...I first saw last late spring/early summer and had no idea what I was looking at (that particular launch included a train of 64 satellites)...I truly thought I was looking at something alien...lol

this is a kool one for the kids to see as well as myself ty for the heads up:howdy:

Just as an fyi, the site (starlink tracker) adjusted the time to 5:57 tonight, with a second good showing tomorrow night at 5:58...but it also warns to be out up to 10 min early...I'm going out at the original time it mentioned

Yeah, pretty much on time...but not nearly as vivid as the last time I saw them. At first I could only see one dim one, but then eventually the other ones came around but dimly, fading in and out of view. The space station had flown over 15-20 min beforehand and that was a much better show. 

Supposedly supposed to be brighter tomorrow (as long as my understanding of magnitute....higher number = brighter.... is correct)

I have trees to the north. I couldn't see them until they had gone by and were headed east. But I only saw 2 Orbs of solid light moving across the sky.