New Lure 2022 season

Rate this topic

LockedDrag

25 mins ago, Abe Froman said:

popper!

only fish bucktails and tins about 95% of the time but feel like this is one that needs to be added to rotation.  anyone with advice or which is easiest to learn let me know!

The Tactical Angler bomb popper probably easiest to use,casts far and makes alot of disturbance with little effort,The Super Strikes are great too,i find when one is working the others not,so nice to have both in various sizes and colors.

1 hour ago, Abe Froman said:

popper!

only fish bucktails and tins about 95% of the time but feel like this is one that needs to be added to rotation.  anyone with advice or which is easiest to learn let me know!

Everyone has their own way. I just do copy exactly what John Skinner does. Hasn’t failed me yet lmao 

5 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

popper!

If you’re new to poppers, I’ll suggest that you start with a floating model.

I have always believed that a lure which stays on the surface when you aren’t reeling is simply easier to learn on.

Don’t worry too much about color.

I used to buy poppers in any color I could get a good deal on.

The reason for that is I believe predators are drawn to the surface commotion that a popper makes more than the appearance of the lure itself.

I think that fish will actually see all of the splashing and disturbed water more than they will the lure itself.

My experience has been that most any color popper will produce about as well as any other color if you get the speed and action dialed in.

Try different retrieve speeds and see what each speed does to the lure.

Try stopping your retrieve once every so often and let the lure sit for a second or two.

Give it subtle twitches.

Give it a big rip so the lure digs into the water violently and throws some water into the air.

That thrown water makes a noise like bait trying to avoid being eaten.

It’s like a dinner bell for predators.

Work your lure all the way back in.

I’ve had fish hit big right at my feet just as I was lifting the plug out of the water for another cast.

If you get a hit but don’t hook up, stop the retrieve and twitch the lure a bit.

You might get another hit from a fish in back of the one you missed.

Remember that fish travel in schools.

Much of the time there’s more than one fish interested in your offering.

Of maybe the one you missed will try again.

Take your time and have fun with it.

One final bit of advice regarding poppers is that I think they are best used in fairly shallow water.

Sure you can find surface feeding fish in a hundred feet of water but, in general, I think there’s a limit to how far a fish will travel to the surface to eat your offering.

Most of my popper use is in water less than 10 feet deep.

Quite often I’ll work a popper in 3 or 4 feet and cast parallel to the shore so that the lure stays in that depth of water for the entire retrieve.

Poppers are not my only tool but most of my outings begin with them because if the fish are hitting surface stuff, it’s simply the most exciting fishing I know of and there’ll be no reason for me to try other lures.

Cheers!

Edited by valentine

50 mins ago, mike07gsxr said:

I would like to try the banjo minnow fishing system. I think that will put large on my line.

Sheeeeeet I woulda gone clambrella over that, but you got points over me for “originality.”

I am tying my own sabiki rig with small but stout hooks lightly dressed capable of baitfish and schoolies. 

I’ll probably snag it on the bottom immediately- or lose it in my garage. 

I want to get more into wooden plugs in general.  Not much experience with them.  Like pencils and large spooks.  I just ordered three spooks from 247 Lures - Mully Spook (parakeet), Mully Jr. (pearl white), Flipping Mullet (blue back).

Then I decided to order some Pocket Rockets from them also.  Copperpot, New Moon, and Olive Green.  Those look really interesting. 

Edited by Skunkoff

Small slab spoons and fall flat jigs.  I bought a couple late last year and liked it. Got a Do it Casting Spoon mold and I have some molds coming from BugMolds. Hopefully they show up before winter is over. If not I've got enough to tide me over. 

10 hours ago, codfish said:

Agree:)This spook is 8 inches

DSCF0999.JPG

What's that bottom lure with the tube?

4 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I want to get more into wooden plugs in general.  Not much experience with them.  Like pencils and large spooks.  I just ordered three spooks from 247 Lures - Mully Spook (parakeet), Mully Jr. (pearl white), Flipping Mullet (blue back).

Then I decided to order some Pocket Rockets from them also.  Copperpot, New Moon, and Olive Green.  Those look really interesting. 

:th:

Small slab spoons and fall flat jigs.  I bought a couple late last year and liked it. Got a Do it Casting Spoon mold and I have some molds coming from BugMolds. Hopefully they show up before winter is over. If not I've got enough to tide me over. 61e951c096c09_Capture_2022-01-20-07-11-59.png.aa7041c01acd808e2729f72fd61a8125.png61e951ca3f71b_Capture_2022-01-20-07-11-37.png.88679574b5d6d99aa1982d1149c2eb6c.png

10 hours ago, codfish said:

Agree:)This spook is 8 inches

DSCF0999.JPG

What's that bottom lure with the tube?