Lower ball joint installation mistake.

Auce

I did my LBJ's last night with the help from a friend (I'm not the most handy wrencher). We used an impact drill to secure the new bolts in. I didn't realize till after, it's suggested they be torqued into place. So a few questions please. It's a 2001 4Runner.

1: Am I ok, or should I torque them instead? Part of is afraid I'll sheer off the new bolts.
2: If I need to re-torque them, do I need to do the whole process over, or just loosen the 4 bolts, grab a torque wrench and tighten them down again?
3: Is an alignment necessary after doing LBJ's?

Thanks in advance.

2 mins ago, Auce said:

I did my LBJ's last night with the help from a friend (I'm not the most handy wrencher). We used an impact drill to secure the new bolts in. I didn't realize till after, it's suggested they be torqued into place. So a few questions please. It's a 2001 4Runner.

1: Am I ok, or should I torque them instead? Part of is afraid I'll sheer off the new bolts.
2: If I need to re-torque them, do I need to do the whole process over, or just loosen the 4 bolts, grab a torque wrench and tighten them down again?
3: Is an alignment necessary after doing LBJ's?

Thanks in advance.

Did you change just the ball joint or the whole control arm? Just check the bolts with a torque wrench and tighten if needed. It’s not that big a deal you just don’t want anything yo come apart if too loose. You should get an alignment done as it is probably off a bit. 

5 mins ago, z-man said:

Did you change just the ball joint or the whole control arm? Just check the bolts with a torque wrench and tighten if needed. It’s not that big a deal you just don’t want anything yo come apart if too loose. You should get an alignment done as it is probably off a bit. 

Just the ball joints as preventative maintenance. 

On 1/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, Auce said:

Thanks again guys. The alignment feels fine, but I guess it can't hurt to have it done.

Your tires will thank you for checking alignment.  They will show uneven wear if the alignment is off, but then maybe you know that.

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie

On 1/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, connman said:

Although I use torque wrench to spec on my own work I can pretty much guarantee that most auto shop mechanics are not spending the time to do it and just cranking down with air gun to the German spec of Good-n-tight. 

Don't loosen the bolts they'll get damaged if they already passed the torque spec....try the torque wrench if it clicks to spec don't sweat it.