Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
West Coast Dave

Hook Types For Chunking For Stripers

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Dave, sorry, I'd a thought some of our bait brothers here would have gotten to this one fer ya! Of course there are many more types of hooks for chunking. While you named the big two, two others that are commonly used are the standard bait holder hook or "J" hook with a couple slices on the barb for holding onto the bait....and the second, a treble hook...you hook one or two points into the bait and the other one or two points is ready.

They both work. Matter of fact, I'd take either one over the standard Octopus hook....but I'd take a big circle hook over all of 'em! Hope this helps ya out! biggrin.gif

TimS

A big live bait hook works well for chunking too. About 6/0 to 8/0 depending on the manufacturer. Be sure to get bronze or plain steel. Stainless is not good to use when chunking. That way if the fish is hooked deep , you can cut the line and the hook will corrode out fast.

Two other good hook types for chunks are the old standby O'Shaugnessy, and the Siwash or "salmon" style hook. Of the two I prefer the Siwash. In both styles, I always opted for the cadmium plated over the stainless. The cadmium plated ones don't corrode as quickly as the bronze or gold finished Mustads. They are also easier to sharpen than stainless hooks and hold their edge longer.