Wicked Hooker

Shimano Stradic FJ Reel Maintenance

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have 2 Shimano Stradic FJs that I have taken good care of.  I always wash them after use and store them inside away from the elements.  They are still as smooth as the day I bought them so I have never greased them or done much more then wash them down after use.  What is your feeling on off season care?  Is it time for them to be broken down and greased up, or should I not try and fix what isn't broken?  I have found a couple of videos on YouTube about going through a Stradic FJ but the reels they are working on are in really rough shape/need a lot of work.  Does anyone have a link to a video for basic preventative maintenance?  What about recommendations on types of grease? 

Thank you.   

I get a lot of my information from YouTube! Google: Dennis@Second chance tackle! I literally went from not being able to do any kind of servicing, to doing ALL my own reels! There are some threads on here,I don’t know about any videos? Allen Tani has a lot of videos on the web too. When you’re working on the reel, and make sure you have a nice clean countertop and take pictures or video of every step! Once you get a couple reels under your belt, total cake work lol! EA

On the topic of the Shimano Stradic, does anyone know if there's any way to fix/replace a broken drag clicker or do you need to replace the entire spool?

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, laizins said:

On the topic of the Shimano Stradic, does anyone know if there's any way to fix/replace a broken drag clicker or do you need to replace the entire spool?

Great reels-Back off the drags in the off season, add some grease in the spring.

Laizins, You just hijacked Wicked Hookers first ever post, lol. You may get a response here, but starting a new thread may get you more info.

Edited by cheech

ExcessiveAngler,

Dennis @ Second chance tackle was one of the Youtube channels that I stumbled on.  He seems very knowledgeable about reels and actually goes through a Stradic FJ.  The one he works on has some issues though, more then my reels need.  

Cheech,

Is there a certain type of grease you use?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Wicked Hooker said:

ExcessiveAngler,

Dennis @ Second chance tackle was one of the Youtube channels that I stumbled on.  He seems very knowledgeable about reels and actually goes through a Stradic FJ.  The one he works on has some issues though, more then my reels need.  

Cheech,

Is there a certain type of grease you use?

Thanks.

Yamaha blue marine grease is my favorite. 

ReelX oil for the bearings. 

I oil the bearings. I grease all of the potential water entry points. Wipe clean. I do this with brand new reels as well as every 1-3 years for the ones I use depending on the amount of abuse they get. (And sealing of the reel.)

A stradic probably needs yearly maintenance if used in SW with splashes. If used in SW & dunked for any reason, then I would service that reel very soon. 

Shimano USA reps would tell u to send them in. I sent reels in like five times last summer and they came back within a week to three weeks. Very prompt service. $25 per reel for basic service. That's a pretty good deal.

I don't think you can get the Shimano grease and oil. 

10 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

I don't think you can get the Shimano grease and oil. 

shimano grease and oil is sold on their website. Very expensive buying it from them though, dg-18 if I remember correctly, line roller water repellent grease is over 40 bucks. better shop else where.  Also, with shimano they are many greases for various components. You may need 4 greases to service 1 reel based on the table below. 

2017884_b1.jpeg 

14 mins ago, Jig It said:

shimano grease and oil is sold on their website. Very expensive buying it from them though, dg-18 if I remember correctly, line roller water repellent grease is over 40 bucks. better shop else where.  Also, with shimano they are many greases for various components. You may need 4 greases to service 1 reel based on the table below. 

2017884_b1.jpeg 

Really! Well that's interesting. Well, I don't know how much you get for the money but its about $35 bucks to send in one reel maybe it would be worth investing in some Shimano greases if you have a bunch and care to maintain them yourself. 

I see that they have greases that are being used on ARB bearings and roller clutches. I wonder if the Stradic FK roller bearing is supposed to get greased...I seem to have the idea that grease can cause it to fail. 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:35 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

Really! Well that's interesting. Well, I don't know how much you get for the money but its about $35 bucks to send in one reel maybe it would be worth investing in some Shimano greases if you have a bunch and care to maintain them yourself. 

I see that they have greases that are being used on ARB bearings and roller clutches. I wonder if the Stradic FK roller bearing is supposed to get greased...I seem to have the idea that grease can cause it to fail.

I think that chart is only a general guide. Can't speak for Stradic FK, not familiar with it, but my understanding line roller with X-protect feature get water-repellent grease. Another name for it is DG18 and is go to for servicing x-protect line rollers on Shimano.  On Shimano website it close to 40 dollars for 5 grams tiny tube. Extremly expensive, not sure why Shimano marks it up so much and remember, if you ever use this one, wear gloves.