TheLuckyStrike

IBSP Permit

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 11:59 AM, Duff said:

Yeah guess I'm old. In the 70's , if you saw 5 trucks, you saw them all.

Haven't had one since 2016. Guess I'm done.

Been a while for me too. I think 2015 was my last yr. Also, I think they e sold 7750 passes. That’s $1.5M on passes along. If they just sold to NJ residents…. 

From IBSP's Facebook page:

Some information/clarification concerning 2022 Mobile Sport Fishing Vehicle (MSFV) Permits:

The applications were made available on December 1st, 2021. These applications were only available online @ yourpassnow.com

Applications were available to both NJ residents and non-residents.

Applicants were given the option of picking up permits at the gatehouse, or delivered by mail.

A limit of MSFV 7,750 permits were made available. This number was reached on the weekend of January 15th 2022 and no additional MSFV are available.

Approximately 13% of the MSFV permits were purchased by non- NJ residents. We always welcome our out of State visitors.

IBSP have been processing applications since 12/1/21 seven days a week and will continue to do so until all applications have been completed.

With the above being said, NJ State Park Passes are still available. (Yourpassnow.com) This allows for parking and walk-on access to the beach.

In addition, 3-Day MSFV are still available prior to Memorial Day Weekend and then again after end of September. These are only available for 3 consecutive days. This allows for fishing during the Spring and Fall runs. These are available at the gatehouse at the entrance of the park

I would bet that out of state purchases were more that twice that five years ago. It makes more sense now to just get on a head boat.

I skipped last year knowing exactly what was waiting up there. I ordered mine the day they went on sale and as of today I still have not received my stickers in the mail. I was told 8,000 passes as well. They honestly just need to enforce the "active fishing" rule. Too many people go there to just sit and they don't even have fishing poles dunked. If that's what they want to do, just get an Ortley pass.

i got my pass today.  curious what all the "issues" were last year as this will be my 1st year.  besides driving up and down the beach in spring and fall looking for birds and people already hooked up, my summer plan is pretty much drive down with my kids, setup a rod with bunker for trash fish and enjoy a day at the beach sitting on a chair looking for sand crabs and getting a tan.  obviously not swimming, other than going in ankle deep to cool off my head.  

I really feel for the year-in and year-out fisherman who have fished IBSP for years and can’t get a pass this year.  Something needs to be figured out.  It just sucks.

I hear the anger on the out of staters.  I’m a PA guy, but I spend a lot of time in Ocean County.   I’ve been getting the pass for over 15 years now and I use it a lot.  Spring, Summer, Fall, Day, and Night.

The problem to me started with allowing the pass to be obtained online.  It’s too easy.  $225 really isn’t a ton of $$ today - I’d be willing to bet half the passes sold will see the beach once if at all.

-They need to find a way to let locals get the pass first, followed by repeat pass owners should be given some level of first chance exclusivity.

-But also go back to making the process an “in-person” affair.   That will weed out the casual applicants.

Posted (edited)

On 1/25/2022 at 1:10 PM, Eric_H said:

I really feel for the year-in and year-out fisherman who have fished IBSP for years and can’t get a pass this year.  Something needs to be figured out.  It just sucks.

I hear the anger on the out of staters.  I’m a PA guy, but I spend a lot of time in Ocean County.   I’ve been getting the pass for over 15 years now and I use it a lot.  Spring, Summer, Fall, Day, and Night.

The problem to me started with allowing the pass to be obtained online.  It’s too easy.  $225 really isn’t a ton of $$ today - I’d be willing to bet half the passes sold will see the beach once if at all.

-They need to find a way to let locals get the pass first, followed by repeat pass owners should be given some level of first chance exclusivity.

-But also go back to making the process an “in-person” affair.   That will weed out the casual applicants.

Totally agree - way, way too easy to just get one on-line.  And $225 for being able to do something that you essentially can't do anywhere else all summer long is not a lot of money for what you're getting - especially considering that the rules just aren't enforced.  All you need to do is look at the set ups of these 'surf fishermen' and it's worse than what you'd see on LBI on a Saturday in August - pack & plays, pop-up tents, bounce houses (ok, maybe not bounce houses) but everyone here knows what I'm talking about.  For that family of 5 to stay at any shore hotel/motel for just one night would cost double or triple.  But hey, pay $200 or $225 and you can go all summer long and not have to deal with parking on the street or better yet lugging all your sheet from the car to the beach. 

Like others have said - they need to enforce the rules, not only on the fishing end, but how about checking that you have all the required equipment!  There's no way these people have what they're supposed to have.  That should be inspected and if you don't have it, you need to get off the beach.

I waited and now I'm screwed.

Edited by daves745t

One of the last times I got a pass, I asked if they wanted to come out and see my truck and equipment. That's what they used to do. I asked just to see what type of a reaction I would get.  He just stared at me and gave a fake sarcastic laugh.

If you want to remove people's passes for not following simple fishing/equipment rules, im all for it.  But complaining you missed out and advocating for in person purchases only, in 2022 is pretty lame.  The cost and ease of purchase is one of VERY few things this state has ever gotten right, esp as it relates to outdoor stuff. 

When I got my pass last year, I had to show that I had an adequate vehicle and then he randomly picked 4 required items that I was then supposed to show him.  This was apart from showing him the fishing equipment we had. No problem.

Ordered mine 1/8, received email saying they processed the application and it is deemed complete on 1/29.  Still haven't received the come pick it up email yet.