SallyGrowler

The need for a neighborhood watch

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

This is not political.

I live in a seemingly pro-2a state, however the local politics are skewed to be against 2a.

My neighnorhood is a majority of non-US, high-net worth south americans. Good barbecue.

Recently, there has been a few car thefts and even a report of an armed robbery, but the perps didn't take anything from the victims. Just menaced them.

Police showed up the day after.

No comment.

I don't like telling my neighbors I own or I carry.

I prefer my privacy because people tend to say and do stupid things when confronted with something in conflict with their pollyanna world view.

Wife jumped on the housewife chat and prompted "the watch" discussion when someone suggested we collectively hire a mall cop. :dismay:

I told her it has to be an unarmed watch if it involves patrolling the street. Just cellphones to call the cops.

Why?

3 guys just got life+ in GA for attempting to stop a burglary suspect who later tried to dissarm them. I believe 1 was retired leo.

The message to bad guys is "have at it".

Post George Floyd, cops can't use physical force. Post Arbury, civillians need to let the perps walk or run and just chalk it up.

I have no doubt if an armed citizen in my little islet attempted to use force to stop a crime, the cops would be forced to prosecute the citizen to the fullest.

Kyle was the outlier. Arbury case is the standard.

I believe a presence of owners walking the block or even just standing on their porches may suffice as a short-term deterrant.

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, SallyGrowler said:

This is not political.

I live in a seemingly pro-2a state, however the local politics are skewed to be against 2a.

My neighnorhood is a majority of non-US, high-net worth south americans. Good barbecue.

Recently, there has been a few car thefts and even a report of an armed robbery, but the perps didn't take anything from the victims. Just menaced them.

Police showed up the day after.

No comment.

I don't like telling my neighbors I own or I carry.

I prefer my privacy because people tend to say and do stupid things when confronted with something in conflict with their pollyanna world view.

Wife jumped on the housewife chat and prompted "the watch" discussion when someone suggested we collectively hire a mall cop. :dismay:

I told her it has to be an unarmed watch if it involves patrolling the street. Just cellphones to call the cops.

Why?

3 guys just got life+ in GA for attempting to stop a burglary suspect who later tried to dissarm them. I believe 1 was retired leo.

The message to bad guys is "have at it".

Post George Floyd, cops can't use physical force. Post Arbury, civillians need to let the perps walk or run and just chalk it up.

I have no doubt if an armed citizen in my little islet attempted to use force to stop a crime, the cops would be forced to prosecute the citizen to the fullest.

Kyle was the outlier. Arbury case is the standard.

I believe a presence of owners walking the block or even just standing on their porches may suffice as a short-term deterrant.

Doesn't seem to be a deterrent in Philly.

First step should be to have citizens request additional police patrols.

Second is to call police for suspicious activity.

Install security cameras.

Would allow you to observe without exposure.

I don't have too much problem getting police to respond if I report odd activity.

Maybe it's because the police chief's sister lives three door down the street.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

I believe your family and your home comes first....yes I have called in before and had perps. caught in the neighborhood but each of us has to do what's necessary to secure our own and family's well being.....security cams and lights work great....a good dog can be a priceless asset as are good door jambs and deadbolt locks.....ya do what ya have to today.....omo.

Here in Philly there have been 5 incidents of concealed carrying patriots shooting car jackers in the last 2 months, and that's the one's we know about. The media doesn't like to show anything positive that's gun related.

I'd carry if I were you, I never leave home without it.

I guess we are at that point.

My neighbors are mostly armed and like minded.

We help each other and watch out for each other. 

Im glad im in a development with limited access and no through traffic. 

We haven't discussed a more formal plan... yet

I'm in your location.  IMHO the big problem is we don't interact with our neighbors like we used to 50 years ago.  People used to watch out for others.  These days we mind our on business and are afraid to get involved.  Heck we are even afraid to help these days.

I was born here in the 50's.  Used to be we pulled over and helped someone with a flat tire.  Kids behaved because they didn't want the shame of someone telling their parents (in church) about what they did.

1 hour ago, Russ57 said:

I'm in your location.  IMHO the big problem is we don't interact with our neighbors like we used to 50 years ago.  People used to watch out for others.  These days we mind our on business and are afraid to get involved.  Heck we are even afraid to help these days.

I was born here in the 50's.  Used to be we pulled over and helped someone with a flat tire.  Kids behaved because they didn't want the shame of someone telling their parents (in church) about what they did.

True.

I blame social media for making people think in 140 characters or less. 

Having an intelligent detailed conversation with a young adult is rare. It conditions people to opt for extreme responses rather than to apply logic which may require pensive reflection rather than immediate responses

The neighborhood might be able to pony up some dollars to get the local cops to provide onsite security while off duty.  Put an actual cop behind the steering wheel of that empty cruiser.

Some local departments, depending on where one lives are only manned with 10 or 12 full time officers to handle full duty shifts...can't be done, else they'd be workin' 24/7 with no time off......neighborhood watch can work....IME, mostly collapses when the watchers become way to involved playing cop and instead of calling in any suspicious activity they tend to act on it themselves.......NG.

35 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

True.

I blame social media for making people think in 140 characters or less. 

Having an intelligent detailed conversation with a young adult is rare. It conditions people to opt for extreme responses rather than to apply logic which may require pensive reflection rather than immediate responses

I noticed the trend well before social media.

I think it's more from our mobile society.

Used to be people would live in a house for 30 or more years.

During the 70s with so much industrial changes and many people moving from job to job the neighborhoods were much more fluid.

I think that empty cruiser will be there a few days and once they figure it out it will get vandalized at best.

First off, I apologize for not making it clear I commend your wife's actions.  The fact that most would rather "farm out" responsibility for their community to a rent a cop is part of the root cause.  We live in a time where everything is someone else's job, responsibility, or fault.

I would gladly join such an initiative.  More so under the guise of simply getting to know everyone on the block, getting a little exercise, and having some social interaction with my neighbors.  Perhaps if we all felt like we knew each other we might actually look out our front door when our neighbor's car alarm went off?

Walking up to your local corner crack dealer and encouraging him to join your local exercise/crime watch group can be more effective than a call to the police.  Having the comfort level to let one of your neighbors know you have seen their kid frequenting him is huge.

Posted (edited) · Report post

actually, there's a down side to all this......yup, snoopy neighbors and we have a few and they're not appreciated.....don't need folks comming over to introduce themselves either.....mind your own darn business.....I'll take care of mine....been doin' it all my life...thanks.

.......and he don't like unexpected visitors either....they can discuss it with him.

keto.1.jpg

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

We have a number of "Karen's" sticking there noses in everyone's business so they are our unofficial neighborhood watch , And they are our HOA  Nazis too 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:07 AM, ridenfish said:

Here in Philly there have been 5 incidents of concealed carrying patriots shooting car jackers in the last 2 months, and that's the one's we know about. The media doesn't like to show anything positive that's gun related.

I'd carry if I were you, I never leave home without it.

Unfortunately in NJ Kim Jung Murphy has his commie boot on our necks so no CCW for anyone.  I think it's a felony in NJ to even think about carrying.