SSSurf

How sparse is too sparse - Bucktails

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’ve been tying flies for a little over a year and I got into surf fishing this summer and had plenty of success with bucktail jigs. I know the amount of bucktail will affect how fast the jig sinks. I’ve had success with very sparse Clousers. All the bucktail jig I’ve boughten have a far more liberal amount of hair tied in. Does this look too sparse?

image.jpg

In short it all depends where you are fishing. Current speed, depth, etc. IMO that bucktail looks perfect.  It’s nice to have a mix of ones with more hair and some with less. You can carry a few and see what works for the conditions at hand

4 mins ago, SSSurf said:

Thanks @eelbasher. I’m tying up a few right now and tying them in less sparse as I go. 

Personally I don’t like mine with a ton of hair, but that’s just me. I do carry a mix of density’s though just in case I might need something different

I would not call that sparse. Looks good. The one on the bench looks sparser and better to me. Now tie one with 1/3rd more hair and drop them in water. You won’t see a noticeable  difference in sink rate. That’s more hooey to get 8 bucks for a “custom” bucktail. 

Many have too much hair, yours looks VG, you'll notice the casting distance also when you go lighter. Always add a trailer, like the curly-tails

How much hair is dictated by more than opinion.  Some situations call for more hair.  Sometimes the fish want less hair.  There is no universal answer.  It's always "it depends".  

I’ve had success with very sparse Clousers.

Bob Clouser himself will tell you that sparse is better on his "Clouser Minnows".

I watched my friend take a nice fish on an unpainted, untied jig head without pork rind. He was trying to prove a point. He did, his point was he knew what he was doing.