bloosfisher

OBX in April

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

In lieu of the usual trip  flying to the southwest in April, we are considering driving south. I know I can find good trout in E. Tenn./N. Carolina, but I'd rather hit the salt. I can't  find much info online, and if memory serves, when I last tried to research this I was told to leave the fly rod home. I really don't want to soak bait.  If there's inshore, I have a yak. Please nothing below the Carolinas.   Any fish is OK.

I live in WNC and only fly fish now.  Last month a friend and I went to the OBX with only fly rods, a leap of faith, my first time trying to fish the surf with a fly.  In years past I would go with spinning tackle and chuck various lures or drown bait so I was well familiar with the beach.  We had zero expectations, our only goals were to get better at casting our saltwater rigs and catch A fish during the week there.  The first two days we were blown out, stayed in and cooked for the week.  The next five days were as perfect as we could ask for casting a fly rod on the beach.  First day I caught a 26" speckled trout, a citation size in NC, on a deceiver. My friend caught a 24" flounder.  We caught a lot of flounder.  Through the week we caught a few more specs to 20" and flounder, the last day I outfished the spin guys.  

We mostly used 8wts, though we sometimes cast a 7 or 9wt to switch things up.  I used an intermediate line my friend cast a floating line.  We fished clousers and deceivers of various size and color, but generally chartreuse was the prefered color. 

We're going down again in early May with kayaks to fish the sound if possible (I know nothing about where), and to fish the beach for sure.  I'm hoping to find a puppy drum or two.  I think April would be similar, later April might be better, and I would definitely go with your fly rods.  

I am not on OBX by then I move back end of April.  If we survive this winter with no fish kills due to cold April can be good for your yak.  I don't yak fish and don't know much about it but my friends who do had great success last year.  Later in April is much better.  March is the coldest month there most years.  I avoid OBX March like the plague.  The best bet is call OBX on the Fly in Manteo.  They are a fly shop and specialize in kayak fishing.  

Should be some slot size reds around and even some speckled trout--unless there is a hard freeze