FEW3

I've been hoping for ice.

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

I want to get my dad back out there because we have had the craziest Ice fishing events every. 

I might have already told them. But, we got ourselves in some bad situations more than once out there. He is getting old now.

Dad went from emaciated cancer wimp, to building a tummy type 2. That stinks because he looked pretty fit on CHOP, but he is getting a gut now.

I hated Ice Fishing with him, but loved every minute. 

Now he is pulling the " I'm old and you'llsee crap" and likes warm weather. The stories I have very are hilarious.  I'm too busy making sings that ban Timmeh from the canal.

5 hours ago, FEW3 said:

I want to get my dad back out there because we have had the craziest Ice fishing events every. 

I might have already told them. But, we got ourselves in some bad situations more than once out there. He is getting old now.

Yesterday was bad for any ice.

Keep your dad out of bad situations. 

Look for those late season safe ice on warmer days.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My son went yesterday. In the morning I texted him and recommended he cancel because he would have wet feet.

He insisted he go anyway. 

He probably had water in his boots within minutes of arriving. 

He stuck it out for a couple hours before finally calling his mother to come get him. By that time he could barely walk.

His mother told me he hopped in the car and ripped his wet boots off and refused to load up his gear until his feet warmed up. When they got home he walked into the house barefoot. 

He must have been miserable. He didn't catch any fish.

When I asked him about it later he said it "wasn't that bad" and he would do it again. :dismay:

Edited by mikez2

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

My son went yesterday. In the morning I texted him and recommended he cancel because he would have wet feet.

He insisted he go anyway. 

He probably had water in his boots within minutes of arriving. 

He stuck it out for a couple hours before finally calling his mother to come get him. By that time he could barely walk.

His mother told me he hopped in the car and ripped his wet boots off and refused to load up his gear until his feet warmed up. When they got home he walked into the house barefoot. 

He must have been miserable. He didn't catch any fish.

When I asked him about it later he said it "wasn't that bad" and he would do it again. :dismay:

Typical kid. I prolly did the same at his age, and then some. :kook:

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, bdowning said:

Typical kid. I prolly did the same at his age, and then some. :kook:

Of course. I  did too. That's how I was able to accurately predict what would happen. 

It's also why I didn't insist he stayed home. I knew he'd need to learn for himself. 

Edited by mikez2

10 mins ago, skinnywater said:

Get the kid a pair of waterproof boots?

Well I did leave out part of the story;

I had warned him if he got his boots wet, he'd have trouble getting them dry before the weekend. Unbeknownst to me, he got the bright idea to wear his old worn out back up boots in order to protect his good boots for the weekend. 

Bad idea.

Having said that, with as much standing water as was on the ice yesterday, it would have taken some muck boots or damn waders to avoid getting wet.

While it may be possible to find boots that could have stayed dry, fishing in deep slush with standing water just sucks. Staying home is the best option in those conditions. 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I had warned him if he got his boots wet, he'd have trouble getting them dry before the weekend.

Tell him about this old school trick.  :)

Bread-Bag-Uses-1.jpg.8e03acf16a6293e920afe7240ccd1943.jpg

Just now, zak-striper said:

Yeah...no. lol.

Been there. Done that.

Once the liners get wet it's game over for keeping feet warm even if the bags don't leak. Which they all do.

5 hours ago, zak-striper said:

LOL, this is new to me, thanks for the idea. (I've only use regular shopping bags)

17 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Dad went from emaciated cancer wimp, to building a tummy type 2. That stinks because he looked pretty fit on CHOP, but he is getting a gut now.

I hated Ice Fishing with him, but loved every minute. 

Now he is pulling the " I'm old and you'llsee crap" and likes warm weather. The stories I have very are hilarious.  I'm too busy making sings that ban Timmeh from the canal.

Where are the stories?